replace a superstructure?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Houston.Sail, May 15, 2007.

1. Houston.Sail

Houston.Sail New Member

Hey all,

Just curious about an idea I have. While thinking about the boat I'd really like, how feasible would it be to build the shell of the size boat I want and really change up the superstructure of it?

I'm thinking BR plans and I'd like to have the center cockpit of a boat that looks more like an Oyster style layout from bow to stern. My worst nightmare of this boat is something that looks like a home-built boat and I really like the sleek decks of the high-end boats. Otherwise, I can't find a boat I want to build.

I would think if I get the superstructure (that I want) to look proportional to the rest of the boat, and it's not completely different from the original superstructure and just as strong, it shouldn't effect the boat. Would anyone recommend that?

I see quite a number of builder added features to these home built boats. Anything wrong with my thinking?

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

No good thinking, but why not get a beautiful looking boat with a set of plans that looks like a high end boat
    Can I say this
    It is just as easy to build a beautiful boat as it is to build a bad looking boat, and believe it or not it costs no more, oh sure what you put in em, and on em does, but looks cost nothing, like some woman:))
    If you PM me I will recommend a few designers, who are good to work with
    and wait here some may pick up on this post

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Houston
    You can make whatever changes you like but it is best to go through the designer. Stock plans are always changeable for a fee from any designer. Just email them a sketch and ask for a quote. Then they will usually come up with a better looking alternative :)

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.