New Guy just showing our progress...

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by rudeman85, Jan 3, 2007.

1. rudeman85

rudeman85 New Member

My dad and I had tackled this project about 3 1/2 years ago and we had started from scratch. From building the garage, buying the welder, and purchasing the aluminum, it has been a learning experience for the both of us! The boat is a Ken Hankinson design and we added an extra fram in the hull to give us approx. a 28 foot loa. The engine is a 1972 455 cu olds with a 12JC Berkeley jet drive. As of right now we recently just installed the plywood floor along with one of the two gas tanks located under the floor. The next step for us is to finish installing the rest of the bolt on parts onto the engine and set it in place in the hull. Here's some pics of our progress, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some older pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

seen alot of started dreams ,,cars ,,,gonna fix it up ,,,,,,,,,,,,someday,,like to see someone really doing it ,looks really good,longliner

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Rudeman,

Looks great. Yoy gonna run her on the rivers, Lake Eire, Yough Dam?

I've been contemplating a metal boat project for several years and would love to get a first hand look at yours.

I'm over by New Stanton.

Take care.

TGoz

4. rudeman85

rudeman85 New Member

longliner,
    Thanks! It's been taking a while, but we are definately making headway as of lately. Hopefully within the next couple weeks the engine will be bolted in and then it's off to start all the wiring...

timgoz,
    We're actually closer then you think! We are here in New Kensington, which is probably a little closer then the Burgh!

Thanks guys!

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool, bare metal.............gotta splash some cold water on my face now.:D

6. stuart

stuart Junior Member

Good onya mate, I think its great you and your dad are doing this together. Im building A plate alloy boat my self in Australia and having a great time. I know you and your dad will gain much more than just a great days fishing in a boat you and him built together.;)

7. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

Hi Rudeman,

Here a fellow olds 455 boat builder. Your project looks great. I expect you do not have any performance figures by experience yet? Keep up the good work.

My project boat is about the same lenght (30ft) but i am using a total different structural material: cold molded wood core.
    I have quite some pictures in my photo album and keep a weblog up to date. Do you also have a website?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Klaas van der Woude

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.