Naval 'Architecture'

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by willace, Jan 2, 2005.

1. willace

willace New Member

Hi all,

I'm an architecture student working on a floating building project, with an aluminium 'hull'. Basically, I'd like to know how aluminum panels are actually connected to eachother, how they are supported back to a frame, how they are sealed, and any useful information for a novice boat-building-builder.

Pictures or drawings would be really useful, so if anyone knows a good website or has any basic technical drawings I'd be really grateful if you could spare a few seconds to email them to me!

Thanks, and Happy new Year to you all!

Will Gray

2. willace

willace New Member

Some pictures if you're interested...

just noticed the 'attach files' button

Attached Files:

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

First.. you had better find out which side of the laws you're going to come down on, there have been some recent changes to the status of "fixed" floating structures.

Second...you better have euro's to burn if you want that bright finished or smooth. Better to start with stainless or monel, cheaper in the long run also.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Aluminium is generally welded in the boatbuilding industry, in aviation it is glued and riveted. In the same way the frames are connected to the panels.
    After welding, or glueing, there is no sealing nessecairy.
    You can find a lot of usefull info on this forum, try the search option en ask more guestions.

Pictures, drawings of what??

5. willace

willace New Member

Thanks for the info Dutch Peter,

Basically I have to produce technical construction drawings for my project (illustrating panel thickness, connection methods, etc, at about 1:5 scale) But I guess you already know how it all works from real life experience rather than drawings.

The thing is I will have to integrate these boat details with architectural details above the water line. I think its pretty straightforward from what youve said, I just havent seen it in real life to be able to draw it accurately. So pictures or drawings of really simple, obvious things would be great. I'll search round the forum more now tho,

Thanks!
    Will

6. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Willace,

You're a student in architecture, surely you learn how to make a technical drawing. It's not a lot different in marine industry. But anyway, I'll try to find you some samples.

Good luck with your projects. Can you explain what it is for and your ideas behind it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.