My last build - 26ft traditional

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Wynand N, May 1, 2014.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

As some is aware of, I recently came out of retirement to build one last boat - customer was negotiating since 2008 and recently signed dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

The clients needs were as follows;

Boat must have the typical traditional sheer and shape shape, gaff rigged with bowsprit.

Boat must be trailer-able when needed to be moved to new sailing waters periodically. Spacious interior, full chart sized nav table to be used for their type of day to day work, full head with shower full stateroom up front and quarter berths at stern and pilot berth for under way.
    Most importantly, boat must be able to stand up when tide is out in the shallows. Hence the decision to go for a twin keel configuration and transom hung rudder on full skeg.

To get the boat as light as possible, I decided to design a chine (customer prefer hard chine) frame-less construction with boat build by developed panels put together to form hull. The completed hull will the get structural scantling added where needed to handle the loads to be imposed on it. Stringers will be added to chines and unsupported panels and widely spaced frames fitted that floats the stringers (iow, longitudinal framing and floating transverse frames to prevent warping to hull when welded)

LOA is 8.0 m (26ft) excluding bowsprit and beam 2.94m. Draft is 1.2m and displacement 3.1 tonnes. Hull plating is 3mm and deck plating will be 2.5mm to get some weight off the top. Keels will be fabricated from 6mm plate.

Here are a weeks work worth photos of the boat taking shape with the bottom plates and chine plate fitted. Top sides are developed and cut and will be fitted tomorrow and there after the boat will be properly leveled and supported to build frame.

Attached Files:

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Very nice, Wynand. Please post lots of photos when you have a chance. I'm always interested in how professionals do things, it's always faster than how I do it.

PDW

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Thanks PDW, will do so. BUT, Im n0t a professional anymore;) To old for that and if you look closely, the action is in my backyard officially making me an amateur.

Got the top sides up today and battled in the bow area because developed panels are not error friendly - missing the line by 2mm or fair same amount or less wrong and the two side refuses to match together.

The boat has a lot of volume in the bows in favour for voluminous hull and rather flattish bottom especially in front and not the tapered deep forefoot normally found on these boats. The result is probably a choppy ride in the rough but point is, most boats stay on harbour or on anchor at least 90% of its lifetime, and the periodical choppy ride in the rough a good tradeoff for space and comfort on average, and most sailing done in good weather anyway.

The owner and wife will stay and work (writing/editing/translating) on this boat for periods of about 3 - 4 months at a time, cruise reefs for scuba diving and mostly fresh water and coastal use.
    In a few years time it will make the trip to their other home in Mauritius - about 12 days sail from here - where its home base will be.

Attached Files:

• BD.JPG
      BD.JPG
      File size:
      389.5 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.