Metallic Foams, Metallic Glasses

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by venomousbird, Jul 8, 2007.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

A question about amorphous metals where could I buy some? How about 10 tons to build a boat? How many millions do I need?

2. venomousbird

venomousbird Junior Member

let me reiterate the purpose for which I started this thread, to research and discuss new ways of making amorphous metals. . . I think people should do more thinking, if a material shows great futuristic promise, that is the material to learn about

I can hardly think of anything with a greater logistical use than a metallic foam of some sort that could be made into a one piece skeleton-frame somehow, without adhesives or welding

it could then be given a layer of carbon fiber overtop of the internal hollow frame, which would give it a structure similar to bone, but of course, many times stronger for the weight

I would then layer carbon fiber panels, high density foam, kevlar (or a similar high strength cloth that would have a greater ability to withstand the impact of flexing than the carbon fiber) build up externally with layers of round scales to dissipate the impact of a sudden jarring blow of an impact, then add a final exterior layer of a flexible puncture resistant cloth and gel coat

a boat like this should be lighter than conventional designs, yet significantly stronger

dragon skin is a kind of battle armour that can be bought as a bulletproof vest, and it has responded well to all ballistics testing
    if a material like this were used in the structure of a boat, it might prove very successful, despite very high initial cost, unless new methods were found for producing the constituant parts

I'm also considering different possible powering systems:

-a stirling engine powering device could be made using differences in the water temperature vs the temperature of air beneath the deck

-could be powered with rigid wings covered in solar panels as well, for a dual purpose powering structure

-tubes with rolling magnets surrounded in copper magnet wire, to charge electrically with the pitching of the waves, while simultaneously cancelling out the motion of the sea

I am not necessarily thinking in practical, build it tomorrow in my yard, terms
    I'm rather trying to apply all of my knowledge in advanced materials and techniques to the construction of a boat superior to any currently made

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Bentley is a scam Artist

******* is a scam Artist, There good in webdesign and photoshop.

Nothing wrong with thinking new ideas, but try building new ideas with things that are available. Anyway, Im looking for a way to levitate my boat. Then I don't have to worry about hull design, waves, fuel economy or corrosion, I haven't figured it out yet...

4. venomousbird

an airship, of course

5. venomousbird

I think you're right about that site being a scam, I didn't notice the 904 area code, I think that means that they can charge people who call an exorbitant fee

6. venomousbird

I deleted the link

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.