Looking for small steel barge plans

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by BARGEASE, Oct 7, 2006.

1. BARGEASE

BARGEASE New Member

Hi I am trying to find detailed cad plans in digital format for a small steel flat bottomed/top dumb work barge, size approx 6 to 8 metres by 4m wide. load capacity of greater than 6 ton, to be set up as a pile driving barge for construction of small jettys etc

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Which state are you in?

If this is a commercial venture it is going to need to conform and you'll have to jump through the hoops. Plans will not be free since you're going to need to submit detailed drawings calcs and compliance to your marine authority.

Plans would be around 2 to $3k depending on the complexity of the machinery attachment.

Nothings simple these days ..

Cheers

3. BARGEASE

BARGEASE New Member

Hi Mike I am in Tassie
    I recognise the hoops and costs etc but wondering if there are any plans from simialar setups (eg small piledriving barges) that could come off the shelf so to speak. Plans for a standard dumb barge 8x4 would be a good starting point.
    Intend to have it flat pack prefabed then shipped and assembled here by fab engineers.
    regards
    sean r

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Unfortunately they all need to be designed around the equipment, $3k is partially off the shelf, $12k is design from scratch. Can also design modification of existing barges.

If you want to follow this up further with us email all your specs to engden@aapt.net.au We are in Hobart.

Cheers
    Mike

5. vishnubaiju

vishnubaiju Junior Member

Steel designs

Hi Bargease,
    I am a Naval Architect from India. Can you please send me your email address

6. andresaway

andresaway Junior Member

Hi Vishnubaju

I'm interested in building a barge similar to the one shown in this link's video: http://www.astillerogustavomarquez.com/video1.htm
    However, since I cannot afford buying it new, I'll appreciate it if you can please let me know if you can provide the plans as I have a welding team that can help me with the construction but depending on that I provide the plans. :idea: Thank you.

7. vishnubaiju

Steel barge designs

I have designed some steel barges
    1. Length =39.0m
    Breadth = 7.0m
    Depth = 1.80 m
    This can carry 10 numbers of 20 foot containers on the deck.
    It has hydraulic propulsion, speed = 8.5 knots
    This one is with a ramp for driving the vehicles on to the deck.
    2. Smaller three barges for using a mechanically movable dredger on board.

3. Many Small pontoons
    Can you please send me your email address so that I can send the photographs of the barges.

8. vishnubaiju

Requirements of the barge

Also
    please inform me the following
    1. What is the cargo you are going to carry.
    2. Is it deck cargo or in the hold
    3. How much you want to carry
    4. Speed required
    5. Is there any draft/ depth restriction
    6. Any classification requirement

9. andresaway

andresaway Junior Member

Hello Vishnu,
    First of all, thanks a lot for your reply.
    This barge doesn't need any propulsion as it will be linked to a cable with a pulley that goes from one side of the river to the other and the strong current of the river will simply move it back and forth. There are no depth restrictions as the river is very deep, more than 10 meters during the summer. The main use is for crossing the river with our Nissan Frontier pick-up truck but we will also need it for crossing a Bulldozer and other heavy machinery for a friend that's going to build a small road on the other side of the river. We might also use it for crossing groups of 10-20 heads of cattle but they won't add up more than 10 tons.
    My e-mail address is andresaway@hotmail.com and thanks again.
    : )

10. Eppleton

Eppleton New Member

simple barge construction

Hi, new to this forum. Great reads thus far.

I live on a hydro-electric reservoir, 216km long, and in some places 3km wide. We have a cabin 40km south of a marina.

Looking to construct a flat deck barge using (cuz I'm cheap) 4 recycled propane tanks (20ft long x 36"dia) for floatation. Approx. 20,000lb capacity

It will double ramped and needs to hold one lift of lumber, small generator, compressor, some fuel and perhaps an ATV of some sort. The reservoir can be violent at times so voyage will be limited to calm days.

Three boats, two pulling, one pushing, all 23-25ft long, 270-400hp inboards will move the barge and supplies. Once at the cabin, it will rest as a floating dock until needed again.

I am an hobbyist welder and woodworker with a shop and overhead crane. I have done structural welding to improve/repair roadway bridges. I have access to two-part epoxy paint.

Any immediate alarms going off mentally?? Any construction tips?? Remember, cheap is good, best is ok, too.

Gratefully,

Eppleton

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Well if I did my math correctly, each 3' x 20' tank holds 141 cubic feet of air which I multiplied by 61 pounds = 8,601 pounds of flotation less the weight of the tank. Do you know the weight of the tank? You won't need 3 boats to move it unless you want to water ski behind it. Unless you want a 40' long barge you could cut 1 into 3 pieces and weld those to the remaining 3 tanks for a length of 26+ feet which will be easier to move and turn around.. Can't talk about width yet until I get the weight of the tanks. I googled and foune a 37" x 10' tank weighs 940 pounds times 2 = 1,880 pounds so each tank should have 6721 pounds for flotation. BUT that would submurge the tank and you do not want the tank to sink more then 1/2 it's diameter but I do not remember that math formula but someone else will. I would guess that each tank will float 5,000 pounds with out sinking to half it's depth. So you have about 20,000 pounds to work with. thats the platforn, all connectors. the decking, any shelter you want to have and the load you want to carry. I see no real problems unless you want to carry wet cement-a lot of it.
    the rest is all design and the max width you want.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I did the same on one of those upright ones about 4' tall. I wanted to cut it with a torch, I'd had a compressor blowing in it for hours and figured it was good, but put a match to the valve hole just to be sure all the gas was gone. (I was young) The flame from the match sucked down into the hole, there was a muffled whump and then for 3 seconds it was like an afterburner going off, blue torch flame and a horrendous shrieking noise. Me, I was still standing there holding the match, my eyes all bugged out. [​IMG] It was quite exciting and memorable.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/welding-propane-tanks-be-carefull.69325/

13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Fill all tanks with water when you weld on them.

14. Eppleton

Eppleton New Member

Thank you so much to all for the great replies. 10m x 5m was what I thinking for overall dimensions. Wooden deck, ramps stern and bow. Tanks welded in-line with gussets, cross-members starboard to port (2"x8" rectangular tubing). No idea what tanks weigh dry, 12k lb truck-mounted crane does not grunt when moving. Will certainly use suggested precautions when welding. Will post pics while constructing and its maiden voyage. Thanks again.

Eppleton

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Yes, that was how I was taught to do it when I did my boilermaker welder ticket back in the dark ages. Same rule applies to cutting on them.

No or minimal air space, little volume for a fuel-air mix, no chance of a big bang.

They used to show us some graphic pictures of tanks & people who ignored this rule.....

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.