Looking for info on workboat construction & design

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Cleetus, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Cleetus

Cleetus Junior Member

Hola
    I'm currently a student at Westlawn. I am a deckhand, engineer, and captain for a tug company here in Baltimore. Mmy plan is to one day get involved in the design of workboats: fishing boats, crew boats, tugs, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of any online resources for workboat design. I read often here and, of course, the Westlawn Forums, but these are mostly yacht-centric. I'd like to get my cyber-hands on some designs of tractor tugs, for instance.

Any clue where I might begin looking?

Thanks

2. boatsource

boatsource Junior Member

One resource that may be of interest to you and is very economical:
    http://www.smalltugs.com/ - There are several small tug designs by Mal Low. He has retired and is offering free plans for postage.

As I am currently looking for commercial plans and for architects who actually respond to inquiries I'll be sure to make note of any resources that may be of interest to you.

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Workboat Magazine..

A good overall perspective is Workboat Magazine:
    http://www.workboat.com/

They also have a nice monthly newsletter you can subscribe to for free....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.