Letting Stringers & Chines "Stand Proud" from Transverse Frames

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by timgoz, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi TimGoz,

1. I never uses any full size templates, tempting as it may, but always loft my hull and deck frames.

2. The hull get pulled of the jig and a temporary stay fitted to keep the hull sides from collapsing inwards - see photo above. Then the deck beams and deck stringers are installed and the beam sheer takes shape.

3. On my TT24 I fitted an 8hp inboard marine diesel (see photo) and easily moves the hull to max displacement speed of about 6 knots and maintains it even in a blow - Port Elizabeth, S. Africa and it is notorious for it's winds.

However, if you looked closely, you will notice that this TT24 has no full keel but a fin. This is a modification I done after hull number one and was for the better. She points better, light on tiller and actually tracks like a train on rails.
    I regret selling my TT24 at the time and she has done a circumnavigation with her current owner since.

Feels like building one for myself again......:confused:

Attached Files:

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Waynand,

Even though Roberts says "Do Not Loft" the boat from the offsets, but to use the full sized patterns, I was very skeptical. All the reading & research I've done gives the opposite recommendation, as do you. My machinist's mentality & the fact the "patterns" are now over 15yrs. old dictate lofting also.

My offsets table included with the plans was never printed clearly. One & a half decades later it is hard to make out. Hopefully he could supply me another.

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.