How to remove paint from the hull of a riveted aluminum boat?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by whalepass, Jan 22, 2006.

1. whalepass

whalepass New Member

We just got an older Starcraft riveted aluminum boat, and I would like to know the best, easiest, safest and fastest way to remove the hull paint. I am concerned that chemical removal may loosen the rivets. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If there is no best, easiest, safest fastest way to remove the paint, then what cleaner is available that will take off saltwater scum? The boat is sound, no holes no loose rivets, no leaks, but it extremely stained from the water line down.

Pat

2. lonestarcruiser

lonestarcruiser Junior Member

Hey, I have the same task to perform, also some fiberglass on the hull of my Lone Star 21' Cabin Cruiser...do you have any good solutions to either?

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

whalepass-
    Chemicals wont loosen the rivets if it was built correctly. If it does, than you have much bigger problems. Use a non-etching remover. Don't scrape either unless your going to repaint.
    lonestarcruiser-
    how far down do you want to take it? All the way, or just a few layers? I would probably just sand it.

4. lonestarcruiser

lonestarcruiser Junior Member

Actually..Whalepass...I am going to polish the entire boat with MOTHER'S or a similar compound. I have used it in the past on aluminum pieces I have machined for my motorcycle and on some stainless parts and the final finish looks like CHROME...pretty amazing stuff I think. So, any abrasive would not be good on this particular hull.
    Thanks for any advice..
    Sam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.