Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Metal Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
How to remove paint from the hull of a riveted aluminum boat?

We just got an older Starcraft riveted aluminum boat, and I would like to know the best, easiest, safest and fastest way to remove the hull paint. I am concerned that chemical removal may loosen the rivets. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If there is no best, easiest, safest fastest way to remove the paint, then what cleaner is available that will take off saltwater scum? The boat is sound, no holes no loose rivets, no leaks, but it extremely stained from the water line down.

Pat

Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Hey, I have the same task to perform, also some fiberglass on the hull of my Lone Star 21' Cabin Cruiser...do you have any good solutions to either?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 AM

Rep: 88 Posts: 315
whalepass-
Chemicals wont loosen the rivets if it was built correctly. If it does, than you have much bigger problems. Use a non-etching remover. Don't scrape either unless your going to repaint.
lonestarcruiser-
how far down do you want to take it? All the way, or just a few layers? I would probably just sand it.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:23 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Actually..Whalepass...I am going to polish the entire boat with MOTHER'S or a similar compound. I have used it in the past on aluminum pieces I have machined for my motorcycle and on some stainless parts and the final finish looks like CHROME...pretty amazing stuff I think. So, any abrasive would not be good on this particular hull.
Thanks for any advice..
Sam