How to build a steel barge

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Big Builder, Sep 9, 2005.

1. mtnman37879

mtnman37879 Junior Member

Barge plans

I'm reviving this thread in hopes that someone will point me in the right direction. I'm planning a 16'x60'x4' Scow bow, deck barge and a set of plans or ribbing info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bijit Sarkar

Bijit Sarkar Naval Architect

Hi MTN
    Can you be more explicit as to what are you looking for and for what purpose?

3. mtnman37879

Yes, This will be a deck barge that will be used on the river as a sternwheel paddle boat. The house will sit on the deck and all tanks will be in the hull. Hull dimensions to be 16' wide, 60' long and 4' high. Flat bottom, raked Bow (scow) with a smaller rake aft. The Wheel will extend past the barge and is not included in the dimensions. The engine will also sit on the deck and will be chained to the wheel. 1/4" plate is what the hull plating will be. I am concerned about the ribs. I see lake boats with ribs running side to side on 16" centers and I see large barges with ribs that run the length of the hull with cross members every 10' or so. Which would be correct for my hull?

4. Bijit Sarkar

Ok I got that and will send you the scantlings that may help you . Since I have a few days holiday ahead and my wife is busy with my daughter's upcoming marriage, I should be able to make a few sketches and send to you. If I am feeling too lazy, I am afraid they will be hand-sketches.
    A few questions,
    1. The house on deck - how big is that and for what purpose. You intend to make it of steel. Your boat stability will be adversely affected by the weight of the house. SO you need to know the weight you are putting on there.
    2. Same with the idea of putting engine on deck.
    3. Why stern wheel? Is that a part of a romantic dream boat :) ?
    4. Facilities where will you get it made.
    5. Do you need any approval of local authorities to put it in water? You may have problem getting insurance if you do not have that .
    Merry Christmas.
    Bijit

5. mtnman37879

1. The main house will be 48'x 12'x 7' with a 8'x8'x7' pilot house and a 8'x 12' "Texas deck" aft of the pilot house on the second level, all wood construction. I intend to live aboard full time.
    3. This will be a riverboat and is patterned after hundreds of other riverboats. Flat bottomed and sternwheel driven so shallow water can be plied without being grounded. Also floating debris(logs, abandoned pleasure boats, washed away campers etc.) will be easily overcome. Raked forward hull so that landing will just be a matter finding a sloped bank and pulling straight into that bank, drop the spuds, lower the gangway and walk ashore. No dock needed. I intend on using 1/2" plating on the rake and first 10' of the bottom, the rest of the hull will be 1/4". And YES they are "romantic".
    4. I intend on building her in the front lot adjoining my business. I was a ships machinist for 20 years, and a millwright for 10 years. I've spent my life fabricating steel. I'm pretty sure I have the skills to build her. I am 40 miles from the Tennessee river where she can be launched. I have spoken to several "Heavy Haulers" and have been quoted estimates for moving her and size restrictions for moving on the highway. The pilot house an Texas deck will be added once she's afloat due to height restrictions.
    5. Being a "Pleasure Boat" and being launched in a navigable river there are almost no restrictions other than the standard safety features.
    Ribs and stringer spacing are my concerns and should she have many stringers with few ribs or vice versa?
    Attached is a photo of a similar finished product. Thanks and Merry Christmas! Patrick here's an email address for me: mtnman37879@hotmail.com

[​IMG]

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

There are an awful lot of used deck barges available in the U.S. around 150 feet long. Alternatively an old single skin oil barge would be very cheap as it can't pass OPA90.

7. mtnman37879

Well there used to be. When scrap was paying $14 an hundred last year lots of those old barges got cut up. And besides 150x30 is WAY too big!

8. DomB

DomB New Member

Hi Bijit

I am new to this forum , but i am very interested in the 20m x 10 metre barge drawings , do you have any concept design picture or and pitures of the actual boat . Very interested tho , not sure if its the same regs for Australia ?

DomB

9. Bijit Sarkar

Welcome to this place DomB
    Its been a while and I have been travelling so much. I will try and dig up some pictures.
    What do you need this for? Is it for sea duty, or inland waters.
    These that we are talking about are for deployment at sea, so they are basically two rectangular boxes, connected by a polatform.
    But they are heavy duty.
    If you need to tow them around a lot, maybe you need a better stem.
    If you are operating at slow speed and not much movement, then these are okay.
    Anyway, please let me know the purpose

10. DomB

DomB New Member

Hi Bijit , thank you for the quick reply.
    The purpose for this barge is i intend to start a floating restaurant/bar which is permanently mooring in a calm bay which is classed as calm waters, the barge will not move as water taxis will ferry patrons to and from the jetty which is about 400 metres from the shore. Please see a similar set up in attached attachment. would you think your design will support such an idea ?

Attached Files:

11. Bijit Sarkar

It should serve admirably.
    Maybe you should send a mail at sarkar.bijit@gmail.com and we can take it from there.
    I will try and find some pictures for you and post it here.
    Regards
    Bijit Sarkar

12. Bijit Sarkar

Catamaran Barge

Dear DomB,
    Please find the 3d view attached.

I made 20 of these and exported to middle east in semi knocked down condition . Two pontoons, 3 top panels, and the connecting arms were sent in separately and assembled at site and launched.

In the two photographs, you can see the catamarans at the quayside, waiting to be deployed. Please ignore the structures on the deck.
    Also, this had two gaps in plating on the deck, and split levels. You may want a uniform plating and a super structure on board.

If you need it for calm inland use, i would reduce the depth, that will save you a lot of steel weight.
    Anyway, we can work on the details.

Regards.
    Bijit Sarkar

P.S: Over the weekend , if you need me, pls contact at +919831012805.

Attached Files:

13. jahson

jahson New Member

barge Design

hello Mr. Bijit Sarkar
    hope i could get detailed information of Barge design.
    the purpose for the barge is to carry PMS and AGO, for river and sea environments.
    i have worked on large vessels and have come in close contacts with non-self propelled barges, but i don't have the knowledge in the design of the barge.
    any help would go a long way
    thank you

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  14. Mohamed Mamdooh

Mohamed Mamdooh New Member

Dear Bijit,
    I am looking for a marine architect to design a steel barge of size 40'x120' and 60'x180'. Mainly as an accommodation barge used in the coastal sea area in Maldives. The height for the smaller barge with the super structure of rooms shall be 18' and for the larger one 27'. I presume we need ballast tanks for stability of such a barge and also shall be self-propelled with about 8-10 Knots. Let me know how it can be done with proper classification.
    Thanks
    Mamdooh

15. Bijit Sarkar

Dear Mamdosh,
    Sorry for responding so late. Was kind of swamped with work.
    How serious are you with this project?
    Please do not mind my asking the question as often it turns out to be idle curiosity and results in a lot of unnecessary mails.
    Warm regards.
    PS : I was in Maldives in 1982, a fresh graduate out of college. Have been in love with ever since.