future steel boat build (40 feet)

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by spiel_mit_feuer, Sep 26, 2008.

1. spiel_mit_feuer

spiel_mit_feuer Junior Member

im mostly decided on building the dixdesign ankon 40, its a 40' true round bilge steel boat design, an 11.6" beam, its a long, narrow boat, and i will be sailing through the north sea, and north atlantic a lot, so i will need to go with steel, also boats built with these plans have traveled at 12 knots with steel, so its not slow either.. anyway does anyone know where i can find plans for a suitable english wheel to be used for plate shaping?, and has anyone ever used bamboo in the build such as bamboo planks for deck and interior flooring? its a lot like hardwood, but cheaper, lighter.. other than that, i havent decided what sort of sail plan it will be using, im thinking a sloop or a cutter.. and instead of a conventional hand shower, i was thinking of using a steam shower (like a sauna with enough steam to get wet and shower with)

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

forget the term English wheel now, things have moved along since then
    if you search my threads there is plan of one, with all the data including travel speeds, you can do nose cones in it, and all sorts, , in fact if you had bothered to READ my posts to you, I showed you one before, It may be a good idea to listen to what people say, , that way you may get help
    You never say please or thanks, , so , it's over to you

3. spiel_mit_feuer

the only post you sent me had a fuzzy photo of a wheel, no plans, no data, and you have 51 pages of posts, im not sure how many posts per page

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I would recommend you go buy a used 24' J boat and learn something about boats, and sailing. Then I would recommend you buy a 14' wood pram kit and learn something about building basic boats. Then come back here with the proper attitude and some intelligent questions and try again.

Untill then your a waste of time and bandwidth. If you did somehow manage to string together some steel into a 40' hull that didnt sink, and would move at some speed across the water with any sailplan known to man you would be a drain on the resources of USCG.

You have managed to piss off just about everyone here trying to get help for your ill-concieved ideas.

You cant bother to read. You wont listen, If you do go to sea you are what we in the Maritime profession call bait.

K9

5. spiel_mit_feuer

you obviously have issued, whats the matter? is 40' bigger than yours?.. if youre not going to contribute to the topic, dont even waste my time posting on my thread, go find some other place to shoot your mouth off to me

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Spiel. I investigated bamboo for deck planking . Had some posetive responce.As soon as I find the link Ill post it

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok, i,ll do a dwg, it,ll cost you 500 US, for that you get dwg, plus instruction on how to stretch and form,(difference) and you can have the American selling rights,
    This machine lets one man do plates 6m long alone,
    dont forget to use ship grade steel on this icebreaker

8. spiel_mit_feuer

ive already found wheel plans for $60... and yeah, the bamboo looks like it could be an interesting material for the deck and floor, i could probably get rough, unfinished pieces for not much at all and sand it down and epoxy it with the rest of the hull, and use laminate pieces for the interior floor

9. spiel_mit_feuer

im wondering now if i could find a steel roller large enough to roll 4mm mild plate steel.. if so i could roll out the pontoons for steel catamaran hulls using rectangular tube steel of appropriate size to support the inside and to support the flooring and to connect the two hulls, using carpeted plywood as the floorings and roof of the cabin structure.. basically using plate steel for the hulls, marine plywood for the flooring and cabin roof structure and deck (deck supported with tube steel supports)... i wonder if this would be doable for a 40' catamaran, and if id still get the flotation neccessary to make a catamaran function fully.. the reason i need the steel is i WILL be in the north sea often and there might be ice once in a while when im sailing.. any ideas on building a catamaran this way?.. a roller for the plate, something to bend rectangular tube steel and probably a wheel to shape the cone pieces, i shouldnt have to buy much in tools for this... could do this to build a trimaran if i wanted.. which i was actually considering since ive found smaller trimaran plans with folding arms which would allow the pontoons to be pulled in for a keel to function properly in the event of a capsize, or just to reduce the size of the trimaran when docking, problem is the trimaran would require a somewhat normal hull structure for the center... a simple flared radius-chined center hull could work, that is if it was hydrodynamic as a trimaran needs to be... i should study up on hydrodynamics... i went to college for aerospace engineering, so building my 2-4 person aircrafts (be it prop, jet, or rocket propelled) is more of what im most comfortable doing.. but im sure if given enough time to put together my own requirements for a boat i could have a decent, functional catamaran, or trimaran thatll work for what i need

10. owkaye

owkaye Junior Member

wow that's a great idea!

sorry you've lost me now. what is this you're saying about a catamaran? i thought you were talking about building the dixdesign ankon 40. has something changed since your first post?

that would be exceedingly ugly to me but if it's what you want then i say go for it!

have you ever seen or heard of a catamaran being built in steel before? i haven't. can you give me an example of one?

you're losing me again with all these little details that have nothing to do with the basic concept. is there any way you can skip the sideline thoughts and stick to the main topic?

don't you have some design software?

does this mean you've abandoned the monohull you were talking about in the beginning and switched to a catamaran now?

a trimaran? you've already switched from a specific monohull to an undefined catamaran and now you want to switch again to talking about a trimaran? wow, you certainly expect a lot form the people in this forum. they mostly don't appreciate scatter brained people. sorry but you're making me crazy with your constant switching from one boat to another, and throwing in all kinds of details before you even decide which hull type is best. maybe i should go away until you make a final decision about something, at least about he hull type if nothing else :D

you sure know how to ramble on and brainstorm. maybe this was a good thing in college but out here it makes you look rather unfocused or worse.

or just try to learn from the experience of the many people here because they have collectively hundreds or thousands of years of real, down to earth practical hands on experience, and there's not a college course on earth that will ever substitute for this.

that's very far from naval architecture!

why waste your time playing around with something you don't know about when you should be focusing on what you went to college for? the fastest path to failure is to fail to focus on a single career with a vengeance, the one you were trained for. you're not going to be another of those kids who go into something completely differrent from what they studied in college are you?

maybe in a long time but right now you're so indecisive and unfocused that you can hardly write one sentence without switching to something completely different in the very same sentence. just look at your posts from the beginning and you'll see i'm right.

1 person likes this.
  11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

owkaye
    will you come here are give my sons a lesson

12. spiel_mit_feuer

in response to owkaye, i wasnt 100% decided on a design.. and no, i havent seen a catamaran in steel, its not impossible or impractical to do so, so i dont see why its never been done, and sailing around the north sea steel is almost a neccessity, which is why ive come to the idea of using steel for the hulls of a catamaran, or the main hull of a trimaran... and i focus on things i havent done the same reason people sail to places theyve never been.. the experience, and the knowledge... so i might just go catamaran or trimaran, problem is doing frequent sailing in sometimes volitile areas, capsizing would be worse in a multi-hull...but i like the ideas of folding tris, to tuck the pontoons under the hull and allow a keel to right the boat in a capsize, or the have a smaller footprint at a dock.. thats starting to look like the route id rather go if im going to be sailing alone

13. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

I have .....Single central diesel . Hydraulic drives .Steel.

[​IMG]

Designer`s description: Boden steel cruising catamaran motor sailer.
    Length 11.13 m.Ketch rig. Skeg keels. Beam 5.5 metres. Displacement 11.37 tonnes. Not a light weight flyer but a proven confortable vessel. Power about 40 hp engine driving twin hydraulic motors. Suberb hull shape.

But I would never build one ( in steel ).:rolleyes: Would much rather drag weight as payload . 11.37 Tons !!!!!!

Attached Files:

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"and no, i havent seen a catamaran in steel, its not impossible or impractical to do so, so i dont see why its never been done,"

in a single word , WEIGHT

The weight of an offshore catamaran in steel would preclude taking stores aboard.

And sushi is not for everyone.

In aluminum , great boats that are light enough to be a multihull is doable.

But for load AND speed a long & skinny monohull cant be beat.

Considering the chance of being caught up north and having to winter over 8 months is a lot of food and fuel for a 40 ft anything.

Google the old Herrishoff "Marco Polo" , and contemplate a modern version.

FF

15. owkaye

owkaye Junior Member

Hi lazeyjack, I could but I suspect that they probably wouldn't listen to me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.