Foam flotation for aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by kdolan, Feb 5, 2005.

1. kdolan

kdolan New Member

I have my 16ft boat down to the hull and want to pour some type of flotation foaminto it to deaden sound and obviously give me some flotation. Anyone have suggestions about what to ues.
    Kevin

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

We use a two part pourable that works pretty good. Unsure of any info right now, put i am going back to the shop later this evening and i'll get all the info from the lable.
    Joey

3. There are 2 ways to put foam flotation in the boat. I am not being a smart as_. Right and wrong places. Copy from a new boat that has VERY same layout as yours.--------- If at all possible. Keep all the foam block or spray in place in the TOP HALF of hull. Correction, Keep it all in the top half. NOTHING in the bottom 1/2. Use ONLY marine foam. OIL, GAS OR SUNLIGHT--- WILL NOT attack it.---------Home Depot types will dissolve.

4. kdolan

kdolan New Member

Thanks for the advice. Will have to decide what to use and your straightforward advice as to sing home depot has me re-thinking.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

5. Bobber1

Bobber1 Junior Member

Hey I know a scottish guy who is rebuilding a boat....hey it's you. :D

Go to Crestliners sight and you will see them adding the foam. I have seen foam at the back and foam at the front.Mine is at the nose and the two upper back corners (3ft x 1ft).

Have fun.
    Bobber

6. kdolan

kdolan New Member

Heh Bobber

Will check out the crestliner site. Will probably go with the two part foam and will check around for pricing. Think I only need the small container as the back of my boat still has foam and it seems ok, it is the front that needs it and the centre.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

7. Bobber1

Bobber1 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.