Flats skiff Build

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by tweeve11, Jun 11, 2016.

1. tweeve11

tweeve11 Junior Member

Hello,

So i want to build a boat. But ive never built a boat, so I need some help! I want to build a 3 person flats boat that is going to handle the chop half way decently (so not completely flat bottom), but still be able to run pretty skinny if i want to pole it...

I have a good friend who owns a trailer business, where they weld aluminum daily. He basically said, if i can get the materials and the instructions, he can put it together (I must note, im getting this very cheap only because we are friends, which is part of my motivation to go aluminum, but more on that in a minute...).

So this leads me to a few questions. I have seen that others have done it, and through my research I found that if the correct marine grade aluminum plating was used, it would not corrode as long as i take other precautions to prevent electrolysis, like using plastic washers with steel bolts, etc..

Firstly, is that statement true? If i take the right precautions in the materials i use, will i be able to fish that boat for the next 10 years without having to worry about corrosion?

Secondly, the whole goal of building the boat myself was to achieve something custom for cheaper then i would spend on a boat of equivalent quality... I know wooden boats have been made forever, so am i incorrect in assuming that the aluminum build would be even cheaper? Really the whole motivation to go aluminum was that i had a connection for the builder, and if the materials in aluminum were going to be cheaper then buying plywood, then i would just buy the quality aluminum and build myself a unique fishing machine for cheaper or close to the same price as a wooden boat.

Now, if those are true, then how can I easily get plans for a basic flats boat around 18-20 feet, center console? There are loads of wooden plans on bateau, but most of the aluminum plans i have found are either for big ships or they are very expensive. I thought i read somewhere that someone skilled on the forum was offering to convert from wooden to aluminum. Can this be done?

Otherwise, any and all information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have enjoyed reading over the forum over the last few weeks and will continue to learn as much as i can.

thanks

Marshall

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think the expression "convert from wooden to aluminum" is not accurate, it can not be applied because the ship should be recalculate again, and have to adopt different constructive solutions. What can be done easily is to copy the look, shapes, from a wooden boat so the aluminum reproduce them as faithfully as posible. The interior structure would be totally different, and some visible detail.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. tweeve11

tweeve11 Junior Member

That is understandable. I figured that copying wouldn't necessarily work since the strictures are different and respond differently to different forces...

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

tweeve11, think no more. Contact rasorinc and ask him to explain this so great method to do the conversion in 1.5 hours. At that time, how many calculations can be done ?, how many construction drawings can do?, does it include the nestings for cnc cutting of parts?.
    Pay him 15 hours to make the conversion for 10 ships and, this way you can choose the one you like the better.

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Cnc aluminium kits are popular here . Find the boat kit that suits your needs and the aluminium comes precut with instructions and jigs. Perfect for friend to weld up for you.

7. tweeve11

tweeve11 Junior Member

Could you point me in the right direction? I havent found anything and ive searched up and dow

8. whitepointer23

i am in australia but there must be plenty of u.s kit suppliers too.

9. tweeve11

tweeve11 Junior Member

Well I have looked up and down and have yet to find any aluminum cnc kits for fishing sized skiffs and vessels

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you looking for a custom boat or a cheaper than store bought? Home made boats are rarely cheaper, usually of lower quality and definitely of lower resale value than a factory made one. If you are on a tight budget, a used boat is the way to go. For a high quality wooden boat, the materials will be costly; more than what a new aluminum boat will cost.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

For whatever reason, tweeve11 wants to build his own boat in aluminum. I do not think therefore that is the advice he needs to tell him not to build his boat and, moreover, the boat is wooden.
    I have no doubt that tweeve11 knew, before participating in this forum, that there are non metalic boats and also, companies engaged in building them.

12. tweeve11

tweeve11 Junior Member

While I do appreciate the response, the whole point of building with aluminum is that my build cost is virtually nothing. I havent been able to locate a buIld kit for a flats fishing skiff where the aluminum comes pre cut

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Things being what they are for you, the best thing you can do is build your aluminum boat.
    I have experience in aluminum boats. If you are interested in any further detail, please email me.

14. whitepointer23

I googled kit boats u s a . I cannot find much either. Most of the companys seem to be in aus or canada. I am surprised because kits are so popular here .

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Making a wooden to aluminum conversion on the plans, isn't all that difficult for an experienced designer, though all but impossible to do it right by a novice. Contact an agreeable designer and get it costed out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.