dirty watertanks

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Crazy Goose, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Crazy Goose

Crazy Goose Junior Member

Hello,

I have recently purchased a steel Adams which is generally in very good condition. However the watertanks, 6 in total & which are part of the hull, have a lot of dirt as well as paint coming of. Some of the tanks I can access easily, others less well.
    Two questions: a/ what is a good way of cleaning away the old paint, and preparing the tanks for new paint, especially considering that some parts are difficult to access; b/ I would like to isolate 2 tanks (the most accessible) from the existing freshwater circuit, into in separate circuit used exlusively for drinking water. What is a good coating material regarding, safety & quality of water (odor, taste, ...)?

Thanks for your help
    Philippe
    Crazy Goose

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

i use(great long time results, international tank liner(paint) perhaps you can not sandblast, so you have big problem getting away all old paint flakes I would sand with corse paper, then use a number one epoxy undercote then 3 coats brush inter tankage liner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.