cruise ship building technology

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by shipscientist, May 3, 2008.

1. shipscientist

shipscientist New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to know which are the main areas of modern technology and practice for cruise ship building that have emerged since the 1970's, on which a shipyard could invest successfully.
    Thanks.

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Do you have a couple of hours??? That's nearly four decades, and a lot has happened. Since you are in Newcastle (in the UK?) I suggest you contact the Royal Institution of Naval Architects in London and have a look through their journal archives--you will see lots of articles and studies on cruise ship development.

To name a few, there is always the issue of stability. In that time frame, a number of ferries and the odd cruise ship have capsized, so ship safety has become a high priority.

There is always a drive to become more fuel efficient, and because of the demands of fast and slow speeds, diesel-electric propulsion has seen a huge increase in development.

There is always a drive to get ever more passengers on board--more passengers = more income--so cruise ships have been getting larger and larger.

Safety of systems translates into safety of the passengers, so systems are becoming safer.

The world is striving to be less polluting, so on-board sewage and waste treatment systems have undergone transformation.

The list goes on....

Eric

3. shipscientist

shipscientist New Member

cruise ship technology

I know my question covers a lot of important issues.
    I'll see what a can find out from R.I.N.A.
    Thanks a lot for the advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.