Bruce Robert's Tom Thumb

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Steelfloats, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Steelfloats

Steelfloats Junior Member

Hi, Is anyone currently building a Tom Thumb? Does anyone have experience sailing this boat? If so, how does she handle? Thx in advance.

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

she was actually designed by Grahame Shannon on the drawings I had when I built a few of them between 1988 - 1991. And that was long before BR had this great little boat in his portfolio...;)

3. Steelfloats

Steelfloats Junior Member

Thx Wyn, I've already been to your website and seen pix of your altered TT24. I was considering building a TT24 as Grahame had originally drawn her w/ a full keel instead of the fin as you built her. Have you ever sailed the TT24 as originally drawn?

4. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Hello,

I own a half share in a Tom Thumb 24 with a friend called Chris - Wynand has been kind enough to give us advice on quite a few occasions :)

We haven't actually had her sailing that much yet - spent quite a while getting rid of rust and repainting, now in third phase of refit to do all the fiddling about with through-hull fittings before insulating the hull and replacing interior. Have done one trip over a week or so (stopping each night) and quite a lot of day sails though so:

Ours is rigged as a cutter, and the hull is to Grahame Shannon's design with a full keel. Engine is an long-shaft 8HP outboard mounted on the transom.

Heavily laden with F4-6 following wind rolled quite a bit but settled down with the jibs poled out each side (main was down). Sailed very well with a reasonable following sea, and could steer herself most of the time. Went down to one jib for a squall and still went fine at a few knots. Generally a lot quicker than we were expecting which spoiled some of our passage planning in the first week of having her.

Going into the wind heels to 25 degrees or so fairly fast but then pretty stiff, fairly dry in the cockpit. Obviously doesn't turn to quickly but tacks just fine most of the time (usually backing the staysail to help).

Also goes pretty well in light airs if you don't have any interior installed - yet to really test that when fully loaded!

Under power- outboard not much use in a sea but fine in sheltered water.

Cheers,
    Pete

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

if she is to tender and heeling quite easily, check the ballast. Remember, she was designed for lead ballast, and many a homebuilder opted for steel (punchings etc) and this results in a much higher CG.
    I remember my TT24 as a very capable little cruiser that carried her sails in quite a blow without excessive heel. And yes, she does goes like clappers for her size..:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.