Bending Aluminum Rectangular Tubing

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by DDaut, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

Hi viking.
    I edit my precedente post with translation.
    Cheers

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You have made the translating too easy for me-- I would have gone back to the Italian only as many times as i needed to completete the translation. It was time i put four years of Latin to use--then again that was so long ago-my mind is very foggy--:D

3. Gian Milan

Viking @

Ave amico meo; fiat voluntas tua!!!

Quid dulcius quam habere, quicum omnia audeas sic loqui ut tecum?
    Gian

4. Gian Milan

clear to everyone, I suppose...;-)

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Stulti linguam latinum rident. :)

6. Gian Milan

Ah ah ah!!!
    Very well, dear Hoy, very well!!

I wish my english as you latin!

AVE!!!
    Gian

7. Gian Milan

and also....

"Risus abundat in ore stultorum"

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

What have I started -- high school Latin --1959-60--61--62 --lets see now nope don't remember much--oh yes "Per Adua Ad Astra"-- now why would I remember that --Aaaah my Royal Canandian Air Force hat badge. :D Actually do remember a little more but nothing that i can form sentences with --just random words in my random brain. Anyhow had a good past few days on the build. I don't have to work alum. on this one it's a glass hull. However I will be doing alot of stainless cutting --bending and welding as I get further along. I make up my own stainless pulpets, bow roller, mast fittings, chain plates, rudder hinges, and just about anything else needed at 1/4 the cost of factory manufactured. The only other metal work, i'm now searching the metal scrap yards for a big piece of copper flatbar, 1/2 x 6 x 96 in. which i will cut in the shape of the keel tips foil.(keel bottom). This to be my ground plate for the lightening arrestor along with the ground plane for my comm. antennas. Also good but not cheap anti fouling for the keel bottom. At $6.00 a pound scrap copper retail it'll cost me.

P.S. Gian --will transulate post #33 and get back -- now where did i pack my high school latin books ????

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner---

10. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I'm a little late, but it is very possible to bend square tubing. That however isn't the same thing as if it is possible to do so for a one off product. I used to work in a furniture shop that routinely bent square tubing for chair frames, and the machines could easily accommodate up to about 2" square tubing. However each machine was $400,000 used, and required the room of the building to be taken off to be installed.

11. Gian Milan

Ave amico meo;
    Ciao, amico mio;
    Hi, my friend;

fiat voluntas tua!!!
    sia fatta la tua volontà!!!
    What you want has to be done!!!

Quid dulcius quam habere,
    quicum omnia audeas sic loqui ut tecum? (Cicero)

Cosa c'è di più dolce che avere qualcuno con cui parlare così come con se stessi? (cicerone)

From cicero's "de amicitia": go to :

http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/cicero/amic.html

PS

in this forum there is a lot of fantastic people. i'm happy to be here.

Gian

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Gian have added that site to my favourites-- fastenating old language that has influenced most modern languages.
    Stumble--I have seen one of these machines in production, some accomplish the bend by compressing (forming ) an longitudional indented valley section on the inside wall of the bend. Never seen this used on alum. but if it was a softer type no reason why it wouldn't work. With the great advances in new compact machinery a modern bender would possibly now fit in the back of a pick up truck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.