Aluminum Raised Deck Cruiser

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by dick stave, May 8, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

I don't want to fan the flames of this one any more ,but indulge me. This thread was an exercise in exploring the concept of building an aluminum version of a classic raised deck cruiser which I have every intention of doing.
    I am all for protecting proprietary work ,but, I do not see where any offence was committed. Openboater, I would not be discouraged about building an aluminum boat with plumb sides as that's about as simple as it gets (distortion is controlled by proper weld sequence). I buy and collect plans from designers I admire even if the probability of building that boat is slim (some people collect stamps...)I guess the burning question here is what is the genus of the concept. There is a lot of information available on the Internet.
    Regards, dick stave.

Attached Files:

2. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

I don't either - openboater has clarified his position that he is drawing ideas from LOTS of places. The only reason I was confused was that his initial post mentioned two of my designs and none from other designers - it sounded like it was a hybrid of my Venezia (Venice) riverboat and my dayboat launch.

My alarm bells rang ...

But he is drawing from a lot of other places as well and is doing some stuff to resolve the flat panel stiffness issues of lightweight alloy sheet.

Best wishes

Michael

3. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Plans for a steel raised-deck-cruiser are available from the Dutch designer K.P. Kornaat:

kornaatyachtdesign.com

look under 'Bakdekkruisers' - dont let the language put you off - it is easy to translate in your head.

one 8.30 meters.

and onther a bit bigger.

Many other steel dutch designs as well. I imagine that they could be easily adapted to ally if you wanted.

Attached Files:

4. JakubT

JakubT Junior Member

I am sorry for resuscitating decayed thread (what more, even hijacked one)

But as none of above links is working and google also didnt
    helped much i am curious and would kindly ask all NA available.

Why plans for these boats in steel (preferably) or aluminium
    are not offered by any designer?
    Considering todays nostalgia and popularity of retro style they can compete with
    small tugs and trawlers. Shrink wrap steel building method per Glen-L site
    with floating frames exposing their beatiful curves and shape will for sure
    attract many DIY builders. There is a niche I guess! Or am I wrong?
    Naval architects please consider that.

5. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

6. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

I notice you are in Praha - not too far from the Netherlands.For the price you can buy a small Dutch steel boat it is really not economical to build one - unless that is what you want to do. Look on the Dutch boat sites (eg. www.botenbank.nl).

I really had to research hard to find the smaller steel designs. OK - Bruce Roberts/Shannon - tom thumb 24 is easy to find - as is Tom Colvins small design) others you really have to dig.

7. JakubT

JakubT Junior Member

I am looking for backdecker plans, not a sailboat.

8. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Right! OK!

Like I said in post 18:

Plans for a steel raised-deck-cruiser are available from the Dutch designer K.P. Kornaat:

The website is down but it took me exactly 1min to find:

Kornaat Yachtdesign B.V.
    Bleijenburg 174
    2678 BD De Lier
    T: 0174-513898

??or did you try and research the Netherlands Society of Yacht Designers and Naval Architects? Who are linked on the Boatdesign site!!

http://english.nbja.org/p/members.html

and, like I said:

For the price you can buy a small Dutch steel boat it is really not economical to build one - unless that is what you want to do. Look on the Dutch boat sites (eg. www.botenbank.nl).

9. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

JakubT - thank you for your private note. Now I understand.

Kornaat may have retired but it is worth it to call and ask for plans. If not then ask the nbja who has taken over the plans or who has similar ones.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.