Aluminum Popularity by Geography

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by James Mills, Sep 8, 2007.

1. James Mills

James Mills Junior Member

Why is aluminum boat construction much more prevalent in the Pacific Northwest (USA) vs the other corner of the country -- Florida??

For tropical waters, what are the pros and cons for Aluminum construction? Is it a better suited material for colder climes??

Thanks,

James Mills

2. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

I'm betting its because there is lot more river running up here than down there. Aluminum seems to be the material of choice when your bashing over rocks. Since there's more rivers, there's more people building with aluminum. Hence, it spills over to all the other boating areas as well. For example I watched an aluminum jetboat zipping around in the Guemes channel just this afternoon. A boat designed to chase Salmon up a rocky river seemed to work just dandy out in the deep salt water.

-jim lee

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Aluminum popularity

Certainly no shortage of 'tinnies' down here in Australia. It's by far the most popular material for small coastal (rod) fishers. Pretty popular in the Highland sea lochs of Scotland. Light, easy to clean - and patchable with sticking plaster...

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

But why not in Florida?
    Perhaps that has to do with the culture of boating in the area as well as the intended use. For example: Aluminum's great for bouncing off rocks in a fast-flowing river, but it can't be formed into the bulbous, curvy shapes favoured by many of today's stylists and industrial designers. But fibreglass can. Fibreglass is also better suited to the complex running-surface geometry (integrated strakes, steps, compound curvature, etc) that many designers like to play with. So if the boating public in your area likes fancy styling and exotic hull shapes, fibreglass will dominate. If local tastes tend more towards low-maintenance construction and the practical ability to take abuse, with less concern given to style and "high-tech", you'll see more metal construction.
    Berg- Don't tell me you actually trust Bondo on the underside of a boat?:!: :confused: (Now and then you see such a boat around here.... a 100 kg aluminum skiff with 40 kg of car body filler plastered over the belly, and still leaking...)

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Aluminum popularity

Tongue in cheek Marsh, tongue in cheek. Personal thing - but I don't like 'tinnies'...but nor do I like mobile telephones or ball-point pens. Timber, sir. God's first choice in building material (ie the Ark) - and the old quill pen... :)

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Bit by bit I am figuring out Aussie humour..... much like the Canadian varieties, in fact.
    Keep the traditional ways alive, my friends, even if it seems they are in danger of being lost.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.