Aluminum Cruising Sailboat Construction

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by MikeQ, Jan 8, 2005.

1. MikeQ

MikeQ Aluminum Sailboat Nut

I want to have an aluminum cruising sailboat in the 45' to 50' LOA range built. Does anyone have recommendations of builders for such a boat? Preferably in the Pacific Northwest region (USA or Canada).

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Alumanut,

I have just finished the preliminary design of a 45' ketch (also available with a wingmast cat ketch rig) that could be built in aluminum, called the Globetrotter 45. It has an aft cockpit and a raised pilot house. It is similar to my Globetrotter 42 which is on my website, www.sponbergyachtdesign.com. Go to Boat Designs, then Sailboats, then Globetrotter 42. The G-45 has a little more room in the middle and forward sections. It will be posted on my website in a week or two.

If you call me or write back through my website, I can give you more information and send you copies of the general arrangement plans and a technical brief. We can also discuss builders in your area. There will likely be a few more in British Columbia than in Washington.

If anyone else is interested, again, contact me directly (904-460-9494) for a free write-up of the design and the general arrangement plans. The construction plans can also be designed for composite or wood-epoxy construction.

Eric

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Just start at the Salmon Bay Cafe in Ballard and walk either direction along the bay, periodically throwing rocks in the air. most of them will land in some shipyard or another that can help you. Alternatively, look up naval architects in the phone book and you can get some leads.

You could also contract build it if you can get a design with CNC files. In this case you get a kit and just hire subcontractors. It's very standard practice in Seattle, though not usually for yachts.

Eric, do you have burn files for your design?

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

The Globetrotter 45 is just a preliminary design at the moment. Cutting files for aluminum construction would get done only after the structure is designed and drawn for a specific customer who hires us to complete the work. We are also looking at fiberglass and wood-epoxy construction, and the same applies: design and drawings would be done on customer demand.

Eric

5. Pavel

Pavel Guest

I did make a thorough search about two years ago on 45f alu sailing boats with CNC files and found there are not many available off the stock or at decent price. Eventually found an australian designer who had already two boats built in Seatle + many in australia. Im currently building one of his alu design in europe (R14). You can check at
    www.radford-yacht.com
    feel free to email if you want some more info on alu building: pavel@sailjoohee.com

6. Chuck Bates

Chuck Bates Junior Member

7. Paul Mooney

Paul Mooney Junior Member

8. alumar

alumar Builder

Hi
    I made cutting files for a Dix 43' Pilot House in aluminium. The cutting files include: lofting board, all frame / floor components, foils, water tight bulkheads, portion of deck plating, transom backbone. The components can be re-nested to suit your plate dimensions.
    Results can be seen on www.alumaryachts.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.