aluminum boat plans????

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by chris3298, Nov 1, 2011.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You will find transoms are raked on just about anything, reason being waves are less likely to splash water into the boat. About 13-17 degrees commonly.

3. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

You know I was just thinking that, I've got a 15ft with a 50 and because it's over powered and heavier I do have to kinda be careful as to not have water come in the boat when slowing down. Mine does seem to be more raked back more then other boats i have seen.

pistnbroke,

I am really interested though in playing with this program so what you're saying is I can design this boat and then print my design out through a regular printer and then trace the sides out on the aluminum and I'm set?

Thanks
    Chris

4. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I'm seen that website to and wasn't crazy about those designs, I can see how this maybe a good design for lakes up north but not for what I want here.
    Thanks for the link though

5. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I've come to terms I don't need a dam computer program to tell me how to be build a boat, There so many guys down here in the swamps that don't use computer programs. I'll just get me some some paper draw it out go with my angles I want on the transom and sides and build the dam thing.

Programs are harder to work then actually building the dam boat. Theres so many off road rock buggies that are built without a program i sure as hell can build this with out it

Thanks for the help everyone

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You really need to go back to school to become proficient at these CAD programs, not worth it for a small one-off project. The main thing is that your design works on the water, not how sexy it looks in 3-D.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

2 things ..the standard transom angle is 15 deg ...you just put it into Carene and there ist is ...BUT if you are not up to speed on things like this should you be building a boat yourself ,,,you must deceide on metal thickness and re enforcment etc to make a safe boat,,I did one of those flats punt things in carene in about 6 min last night But I have done it a 100 times.... go play with it your life .....If you want the panels a good fit to weld easy then you need the freeship developments this is not cutting bits of pipe and using a tape measure these panels got to fit first time ...

8. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Thanks I'll try playing with the program a bit more

9. Brayan

Brayan Junior Member

You can pick up a decent used 12 - 14' aluminum boat for a cpl hundred add a small trolling motor and a trailer and you are all set check out Craig's list your local paper etc.

10. Kevinovitch

Kevinovitch New Member

same here

Hi Chris

Same here, looking for aluminum boat plans but can't find what I want. I figure I spend enough time by the water I could find the boat I am looking for and maybe approach the owner and work out a deal where I could come and take full size patterns then reproduce the boat at home. The designs are simple enough in those sizes, all developable surfaces. I also wonder about building the whole thing in thin plywood to use as templates once done. More time though. Good luck with yours

K

11. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

its easy ..get the basics in Carene ( about 20 min to learn and execute) then transfer to Freeship which will draw out the panels to weld together. I just did one in Carene with an extra side plank and then in freeship bent it over to make the deck ..EPLS

12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

13. peterroderick00

peterroderick00 Junior Member

theres a kitboat co. called cnc you could try I just looked at the site last week

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.