Aluminium Wakeboardboat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by karsken, Aug 23, 2006.

1. karsken

karsken New Member

Hi im new on this forum. But not new in the boat buissness.
    Im a wakeboarder at hart and need a new boat.

My plans:
    Design my own version of a Malibu Wakesetter in aluminium.
    The hull shape is important for the wake to get right.
    Im fitting it with a rear mounted Diesel engine with a V-gear an Shaft.

Im in the beginning of the projekt and need to get some tips.
    * Is Rhino 3D a good enough programme to design the boat in?
    * Can I laser cut all the parts for the hull with drawings from Rhino?
    * I have not used Rhino before, but im have used Autocad and Inventor alot, will this help me?
    * I have a frend with a Malibu Wakesetter so im going to take mesurements from that boat. Only redesigning the interior.
    Link to Malibu boat:
    http://malibuboats.com/wvlx.aspx

Love this forum. Greetings from Norway

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Rhino 3d is a really good program. You can only make developable surfaces with basic Rhino 3d, but if you're smart, you should be able to achieve what you want. The commands are similar to AutoCAD commands, but the modelling interface is quite a bit different. Experience with AutoCAD will definitely help you.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi karsken, welcome aboard!
    Rhino is a very powerful program but like all CAD it does have a bit of a learning curve. I find the interface to be a lot more intuitive than AutoCAD. For working in metal, you'll have to pay close attention to keeping surfaces developable. If you do, it's not that hard to go from CAD to CNC.
    Normally when someone says "I like (xx) boat, I want to take measurements from it to build my own" we refer them to the many threads about how wrong 'splashing' a design is, and how hard it is to get the new boat to work. In this case though, I think all you'll end up using off the Malibu is the basic hull shape, size, and deadrise; that boat is loaded with compound curves you simply won't be able to make in aluminum. You almost certainly won't be building a Wakesetter, you'd be building a fairly different boat that's roughly the same size and shape as a Wakesetter and is intended for a similar purpose. Since all wakeboard boats on the market are already about the same size and shape (and regardless of maker are essentially identical), this doesn't worry me too much.
    Before you get designing, though, I'd go digging for a few books and get caught up on just how the design spiral works in the marine case. There are things like scantling standards that you need to worry about, and piles of safety regulations, etc. that the end user doesn't normally see but the designer/builder absolutely must know.

4. gallou33

gallou33 New Member

wakeboard...

Hi,

Are you design your wakesetter with Rhino?
    Do you have 2d or 3d mesurements and design?

Excuse my poor english...

I have a Zodiac MK2 (4.20 m) and I'm going to transform it in RIB, I like wakeboard and I want inspirate my hull design with wakesetter hull... :rolleyes:

So if you can send me mesurements or 3d rhino design...

Thanks !!