48' steel houseboat repair

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by spindoctor03, May 3, 2007.

1. spindoctor03

spindoctor03 New Member

I need some help on how to put a new bottom on my boat. It has the original hull but it has several holes and I believe it needs a new hull completely. Can you just weld a new steel plates to the existing hull using thinner metal to seal it or what is the best way to go about this. I do not believe that it is patchable.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hi Spindoctor....any chance of pictures to give a better idea of the problem. Patching may be possible if - and only if you have good sound material to support the weld. Wander around with a hammer and give a few 'raps' to see how much rust you can loosen - or how many new holes appear.

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Like Berg said, pictures would be a big help.

She could be easily repaired, ready for the boneyard, or any condition in between. Get down in the bilges & have a good look around. If you've got damage on the exterior you most likely have some problems interior wise also.

Good luck & welcome.

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.