300' x 80' x 18' Dumb Barge

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by sbdlm, May 26, 2005.

1. sbdlm

sbdlm New Member

I am currently thinking of purchasing a 300' x 80' x 18' Dumb Barge for wood chip transportation. A dumb barge's loading capacity is limited, thus sidewalls will be added to increase its load to 13000M3.

These are my questions regarding the barge.
    1) How many mm would be recommended for thickness of the bottom plate?
    2) Approximately how many tons of mild steel is required to build a barge of this spec?
    3) This barge is intended to travel between countries, thus mild steel certified by ABS would be used. I am curious. Could we only use mild steel certified by ABS on the outer layer? Which means the frame, we just use mild steel with no certification. This would lower the cost of the barge.
    4) How much does a Barge of this spec would cost at current steel price?

2. STANIMIR

STANIMIR New Member

Hi,
    abowt questions:
    1/As per ABS requrements for steel dry cargo barges thickness of bottom late is about 10~11mm for amodship part(0.4L amidship),12mm foward part ,depend of stiffeners spacing(this thickness is fo spacing 500~650mm),if use mild steel normal stenght
    2/May be first needed calculate midship section,very symple mass of steel hull structures for transport ships is about 110~120kg per cubic module(LxBxH)
    3/If you have ABS sertificate for barge ,yes.All steel use for barge needed ABS or other classification organization sertificate
    4/ That is difficult question because there are difference about prices in different countries

3. STANIMIR

STANIMIR New Member

4. Bijit Sarkar

Bijit Sarkar Naval Architect

Hi !
    That was a good response from STANIMIR.
    I did not understand the loading capacity part being limited. If you are planning to buy a new one, the design can be done accordingly.
    I would advise you to take extra care regarding the shifting of material in a rolling sea and you may have to have wing tanks at the top to prevent that.
    Regarding the cost , you may consider building it in India. Lots of European / american vessels are being built here now. You building cost will be lower. For example, we are charging about 1000$ per ton ( without material, which is about 750$ per ton for normal steel at present )for builing hulls/ hull blocks for Indian Navy vessels.
    Regards.
    Bijit Sarkar
    +91 98300 25225
    bijit@vsnl.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.