xps foam boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pradenk, Jun 29, 2010.

1. pradenk

pradenk Junior Member

i'm building an xps foam boat, i made the boat and ran the electrical. the lights might need to be moved but for now ill wait to see if the lights will be submerged. they (the lights) are not fixed and will not be in this place when the boat hits the water. anyways i need to coat it and do not want to glass it, does anyone know of a liquid plastic, rubber, or polyurea that wont eat the foam. any suggestions will be appreciated. [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. J3

J3 Junior Member

Are you going to hot knife or shave the shape so it will ease through the water a bit easier?

3. pradenk

pradenk Junior Member

sorry for no getting back sooner, i wanted to but i think im going to leave it cause its only a creeper boat made to get into places other boats cant. about 6 to 8 in. of water. it will only have a trolly motor and oars. im not into glassing it cause if its not done right can gived you problems. i found something called styrospray and got samples, it adheres to foam better than i thought and is hard like glass but dont know how eaqual it is to glass without doing test. have not used it and dont know if used as a submersible coat would it stand up to water and uv. but it is a strong coat for a foam and if anyone used this product before as an outdoor coating for a project did it stand up well against water and uv.

4. outerlimitz

outerlimitz New Member

Try Ecopoxy over the styrospray for watter tightness and uv

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.