White Cedar (and lots of it)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ProjectFiji.com, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ProjectFiji.com

ProjectFiji.com Junior Member

Great find with the Finn building the Schionning. Hadn't seen that one yet.

The rutu I have seen before. He's using strip plank White Cedar, glassed both sides. Really is part of my inspiration to use the Cedar, rather than trading it for a different material. I wish I could find someone doing a white Cedar build. Even though Western Red Cedar is slightly heavier, my thoughts are when you glass it (like the Rutu) and use it as a core there is very little if any difference. Some of the local production boat builders are using core material like the article listed on page two. White Cedar would have to be better than that would it not?

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Hmmm, I know I'm coming into this thread fairly late, but hav eyou put too much thought into exactly HOW you intend to build your white cedar mast? I'm not telling you to throw out the idea of making it w/your White Cedar, quite the contrary, I love most of your idea...be safe enough, but still have an adventure & fulfill a lifelong goal before your long life's up.

1 idea I've been working with a lot lately, is the pie-slice construction method. This method is used extensively in high-priced/high-quality pool cues as it dramatically reduces the wood's ability to warp by pitting sections with similar grain 180* apart from each other, so they support each other with equivalent, opposing force. Of course, this method would require good glueing and VERY GOOD glassing on (at least) the outside sheathing of your mast, but I believe it could yield a very light/stiff/strong mast if done well, and with basic tools (bandsaw, plane, sandpaper, e-glass & good epoxy).
    I also like that I can cut the sections a bit trapezoidal (think triangle with the point cut off) and make a nice, hollow tube to run the conduits for my sheets/electronics cables/etc. through...without sacrificing any real amount of strength, or having to add more braces/weight to keep the strength where I need it.

Just my 2-cent thought....btw my dream's to build a 76' trimaran to cross the Atlantic...on a $100,000-$150,000 budget, and that's for a "shoestring" project...be aware that your costs can inflate themselves greatly, and FAST, when you start out in an uncharted direction...and the learning curve can be VERY steep!

3. ProjectFiji.com

ProjectFiji.com Junior Member

Rob,
    Welcome to the party, better late than never!

For the mast we are going to try a few different things. The cedar probably won't be used there. One of the other members of the project has a 40 acre chunk of land with pine. The original thought was basically to use a solid tree mast so to speak. It's funny that you mention the hexagonal laminated wood masts, as I'm learning how to build these now while reading Parkers book on cold molding.

I need to get busy updating the site as well. I've did nothing but read books for the last month solid. I am growing more and more fond of Trimarans the more I keep drawing. 42' Tri strip plank/cold molded with Ply Amas anyone?

4. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

I won't argue you if you decide for a Tri...that's what my pet design is too ;)

Anywise, I'd VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST a solid pine mast, for many reasons:
    1.) Solid wood warps under the best of conditions, in a dry room...just imagine how badly it'll warp if it gets a taste of seawater!
    2.) Solid wood masts are HEAVY, which is very counter-productive for a nice, light, hultihull.
    3.) Solid wood masts aren't as stiff as hollow ones of the same wight.
    4.) You can't run sheets & wires through a solid mast (how are you gonna mount your nav. light(s)?
    5.) A well-built wood, glass, and epoxy mast will be more beautiful, lighter, stronger, stiffer, and easier to run rigging & electronics through (to sum it all up).

In the end it's your decision, but the mast is one place where I DEFINITELY do not plan on "roughing it" on a build. I'm even cutting an octagonal, hollow, fiberglassed pie-slice mast for my 4'10"x9'4" cat that I only ever intend to use in fresh water, protected, areas. It's just safer that way...not to mention how EMBARASSING it'd be to get rescued because my mast broke & left me stranded!

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

hehehee - good one :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.