When replacing my deck with plywood would 10 oz cloth or biaxial be better

Discussion in 'Materials' started by baranx4, May 14, 2006.

1. baranx4

baranx4 Junior Member

In considering the top deck side I was wondering if 10 Oz cloth or biaxial would be better. I was looking at 1208 or would something like 1708 be better. I know it will take more to wet out biaxial but how much more is my question. I plan on using 4 oz cloth on the underside

Does the angle that the biaxial is meshed make any difference in strenth? I've seen it at 45 and 90 degree. Also someone once told me to use 18 oz woven roving and that seems like it would take way to much to wet out.

Sorry for all the questions, but all I've ever used was cloth to build speakers and repair a few fiberglass auto parts.

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

If your only after abrasion resistance, then cloth is fine. 9oz. or 10 oz. is good for the top of a casting deck., that’s what I used on my flats skiff and I am pretty rough on it.

If I wanted to use the boat like a commercial fisherman (dropping crab traps of anchors on deck) I would use the 1208 or 2 layers of 10 oz. cloth just for the extra bulk. One layer of 1208 should cost less than 2 of 10 oz. Good luck

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

one layer of 1708. My 2cents

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.