What's titanium worth to you?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Stumble, Nov 24, 2012.

1. myark

myark Senior Member

Tools that suit the sea conditions or boating

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53640987@N05/4959807691/in/photostream/

This link shows my son sitting next to a pile of titanium wrench I designed and made from Ti-6Al-4V plate with an EDM wire cutter

My favorite design is the Alligator wrench, been brought from the past and into the future, the smaller version is multi-function tool that would be suited for a key ring for the boat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53640987@N05/4959807069/in/photostream/

Ti-6Al-4V Alligator wrench that is a key ring, bottle opener, ratcheting motion on inch nut sizes from 3/8”- 3/16”on one end and metric 10mm- 4mm on the other end, each bottom end have a built in PK and flat screw driver, overall size dimension = 65mm long, 22mm wide and 6.3mm thick

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Myark,

Those look great, can I borrow your EDM wire cutter?

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Upchurchmr

I live in China for 10 odd years and hire the EDM and CNC machines with operator which are dime a dozen and very honest.
    Wages have and are still going up in China however the operator and EDM wire cutter is about $10 USD or less each hour as there are consumables within this price such as wire that needs to be replaced every so often but not too bad a price.
    The titanium key ring http://www.flickr.com/photos/5364098...n/photostream/ it also had the philips screw driver CNC on the end which I made a jig to fit 20 at a time.
    With the EDM wire cutting I stake the titanium plates 5 high to save time.
    It takes over a one hour to cut 5 key rings from a staked pile of Gr 5 titanium plate.
    Last week I used the EDM wire cutter to cut the cog fitting holes in the titanium hubs I have designed you can vision in my photo gallery also have just CNC the lug bolts to suit because it’s a proto type, later when in production I will cast the cog holes in the hubs which I use lost wax investment casting in a vacuumed furnace.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I don't do chinese stuff --no money left for chinese stuff.

Chines stuff is inadequate and poor quality and ----well crap actually.

No --forgive me for being inacurate -- Chinese stuff is absolute usless crap.

Im sick of buying Chinese crap and getting stuffed over with nice packaging.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Foils (T-foils and single wings) and trim tabs...for ship stabilization/motion control systems.

Like these...for a 63m FAC:

Attached Files:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What is a FAC

7. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Fast Attack Craft

Here's another rather larger assembly of the expensive stuff...for a fast catmaran of about 74m

Attached Files:

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh ----so not an SMV then?

9. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

:p I'll play. What is an "SMV"?

10. myark

myark Senior Member

BMcF

I can see why you would manufacture foils in titanium.
    Flexible, light yet strong and does not rust what so ever.
    Well worth the cost to have next to no maintenance and peace of mind traveling at high speed.
    With Frostys anti made in China spin I have found CNC, EDM and manufacturing mould tooling, lost wax investment casting or to developed springs and hard to manufacture fixtures such as nuts, bolts and screws etc. are far superior in China than New Zealand.
    An example is two of my hand tool inventions I developed and manufactured in China.
    myark wrench invention - YouTube
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-EsetvqRg
    Myark multi function wrench invention Best pipe and nut ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3s9VMHNROE -
    These tools are heavy duty and multi-function that in the near future I have a similar improved design ready to be made from g5 titanium including the chain attachment that would suit boat owners.

11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Very nice work.
    Would you be willing to tell us the business name? I won't be ordering such things, but I would like to know who is building them.
    Can you say what boat you are building the T foil for?

I wish I could get consideration for building a welded tail on an aircraft, but I have a cultural roadblock at work.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Slow moving vessel--of course

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This thread has been interesting if nothing it has tought me that I dont need to wonder what Titanium is any more and I certainly dont need to think about buying stuff made from it.

Conclusion

Its just hard alluminium.

Does'nt do anything special but cots a lot.

Aliens make space ships from it.

14. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Titanium is twice as strong as aluminum and has better resistance to salt water corrosion.

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Frosty,

Ti is 1/2 the density of Steel, 60% more than Aluminum.

It is extraordinarily tough and you would love it if the price would come down.

Doesn't crack like Aluminum after a lots of hours. Really great stuff, just expensive.

Much better than anything but composites for corrosion.

For aircraft, there is no value in using steel, cause Ti will do the job at a lighter weight, except for things like bearing journals.

I'm sure you still wouldn't like it. What was it you said about getting dinosaurs to consider something new (PVC exhaust)?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.