what to use for FLoor and stringer replacement

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jalbee, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jalbee

jalbee New Member

Hi!
    I bought a 1978 28 foot Nautica Houseboat!
    The inside was nicely white washed with good solid floors! Long story made short, most every thing under the new floor or behind the white wash on the walls was either rotted away or the mush leftover from termites having a good meal.
    I have been "searching" thru the threads here on the forum, and because of all the Great knowledge held here in this forum I have narrowed my replacement material down to Marine grade plywood. I had thought of using Pressure treated plywood but I am not sure how to test it for dryness according to one link that was shared here the PTP should have no more than 15% moisture content. I get that the Epoxy won't stick to a wet surface.;)
    Is there any problem other than letting it dry or getting it to dry? I am down here in Key Largo FL and without the air conditioner on, everything rots! I thought I saw a post/reply that referenced the coperius oxide or whatever is in the PTP having a bad effect on the boat? Electrolisys? (pardon my spelling)
    I would prefer to use the PTP but I will defer to y'alls opinion!
    Anyway can I cut long strips of marine grade plywood or PTP and laminate them together to replace the stringers? I have stainless steel brads that I was planning on using to tack things in place while the epoxy cures, can I leave those in or do I have to remove them? Love to use the nail gun! For all the main connections stainless steel screws will be the fastener of choice. Any and all help is greatly welcomed and appreciated!

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Most house boat builders use pt plywood. It takes about a month to fully dry it in a well ventilated area. even if there is still moisture nothing will happen to it unless you want to fiberglass over it. for stringers just make sure that they are fully dry. I have used pt ply but my preferance is now Nidacore, great stuff and lite.Just as carpenter say measure twice cut once, when it comes to boats research twice do once.

3. jalbee

jalbee New Member

Great! The PT plywood has been stacked with spacers in between the sheets for airflow, since the end of July and I will be using them in mid September. In the mean time I am now off to "Google" Nidacor! Thanks for your time, I plan on living on this boat for the next 6 years and want to do it right!! That "woke up in a water bed joke" is one I do not want to live!

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.