what paint to use

Discussion in 'Materials' started by HushPuppy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. HushPuppy

HushPuppy New Member

What is the most economical paint to use on plywood skiff with PU resin Eglass on bottom. and what paint for interior. Workboat finish desired nothing fancy just functional.

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Acrylic house paint. Porch and Deck enamels are popular workboat finishes. For best results use super high gloss, as it's the most water proof. If you don't want this shiny of a finish, the last coat should be whatever sheen you desire.

3. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I have had good results with the Rustoleum Topsides paint. If thinned correctly it flows out pretty well. Granted it's not as good as the Interlux, Petit, or Awlgrip products. But it's only $12.00 per quart! Check out the attached photo.

Attached Files:

• 630.jpg
      630.jpg
      File size:
      407.8 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  4. PAR

A reasonably quality Porch and Deck enamel will run about $25 a gallon which is half the price of Rustoleum Topside paint. I like the Rustoleum stuff, but 1/2" price makes me like other stuff too.

If going over epoxied surfaces, make sure you prime well, especially if using an alkyd (oil) based paint. Some epoxy and alkyd formulations don't like each other, so a primer is necessary to insure compatibility.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

An oil based gloss paint will be more durable, and can be just as econical. It will also bond to the fiberglass without problem (if not you can mix a drop or two of liquid soap in it to change the ph). Unfortunately oil based paints are getting harder to find except at special stores, and many places, such as Los Angeles have banned their sale because of the amount of solvent they put into the air.

Any high quality exterior based gloss finish will work fine.

6. PAR

Again, as I mentioned, some alkyd paints will have issue right over epoxy, so make sure you prime. All other paints can be applied directly over well toothed epoxy. Acrylics now have exceeded most low end alkyd paints in durability, hardness and gloss retention.

7. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

PAR's right on the money, as usual. You cannot be high end acrylic latex (i.e. house paint) but it could cost you $75 a gallon. Very color stable, easy to touch up and repair with the old can of paint you originally used. Also these paints have more flex than enamels, just less gloss.

In hot humid comditions, as stated by PAR, there can be an issue of alkyd enamels (especially if you added extra solvent) over epoxies. I think I made that mistake again last night!

paul oman

8. PAR

I've done it too Paul, but I don't apply over anything but toothed alkyd or primer. I've used good quality "hardware store" brand house paint, which is made by one of the major manufactures specifically for them, with good success. At $25 a gallon, you're not getting a bullet proof product, but easy clean up, easy touch up and easy on the wallet can make you fell better about the end result. Nope, it will not look like a sprayed LPU or a good roll and tip job on a single part polyurethane, but for most people, it's good enough.

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Go to any paint store and ask about their free paint (returns, missmatched, etc). Since these products are considered "hazardous waste" (thanks to the EPA, even for water soluble paints), it costs them a pretty penny to have them hauled off by hazardous waste disposal company. So the stores are happy to have you take some off their hands for free.

What is most fun is you get a lot of unusual colors that for some reason people decide they do not want their living rooms or bedrooms in that color. I have found bright orange, purple, dark maroon, bright green, all make great colorful coatings on small boats. I have mixed colors too to get some even more unusual and fun. I have found Acrylic latex, gloss or satin, lacquer, and oil based paints. Great quality and all for free. You just can not be too picky on color, but I always find something fun and interesting.

All of the paint on the skin-on-frame boat below was free from paints stores, it was part of a boat building competition (and I can not imagine way people did not want those colors on their houses!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bomlo

Bomlo Junior Member

blue water paint for bottom..and for interior Blue Water Ur aglow Gold...its best for your boat.

11. PAR

There's absolutely no such thing as the "best paint" for any given project.

12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Paul and Paul,

Don't know where you got your prices but, Rustoleum is only $28.50 or so per gallon at Walmart. I get it at $9.50 for a quart at the local hardware. Not as glossy as Brightsides but way tougher and longer lasting. Doesn't mildew like the high price spread either.

13. PAR

Is this Rustoleum "Marine Topside Paint" or something else?

[​IMG]

14. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Nope, just oil based paint. The other candidates aren't "marine" either. We all know what that label does to prices.

15. PAR

The Rustoleum topside paint isn't bad, especially at the price. It's not as glossy, nor has the retention of Brightsides, but it flows well and is durable. What Rustoleum product where you referring to, one of the "industrial" paints? How does it flow compared to Brightsides?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.