what paint to use

Discussion in 'Materials' started by HushPuppy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Rustoleum's standard hardware variety paint. Its labeled "Protective Enamel" and its oil based. I've had it on Adirondack chairs out in the weather for at least three years and it still looks as good as new. My main dislike for Brightsides is that it costs three times as much, is not nearly as tough as Rustoleum and loves to mildew while Rustoleum does not.

I see no reason to choose latex or porch paint over Rustoleum. If I want really tough paint, I use Glidden/Devoe/ICI 4508 industrial epoxy at $60 for a two gallon kit. It chalks but so does latex and it wears like iron. Used on bridges and watertanks. Also available in a potable variety for painting the inside of watertanks.

For first class work, its hard to beat LP though.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All Rustoleum products have a band near the top of the can with the product type. Just below this band is the product name.

[​IMG]

This is probably what you're using as it's one of the most common hardware store varieties. This is the "Stops Rust" series and pretty tough stuff. It's a modified alkyd and one of the better non-marine paints at the low end of the price spectrum.

I don't like Brightsides either, but it is something most can compare to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.