West System Six10

Discussion in 'Materials' started by riverrat373, May 15, 2016.

1. riverrat373

riverrat373 Junior Member

I have not started my Spira designed glue and screw plywood on frame boat project yet as I am still researching glues for building the frames. I just looked at the West System Six10 thickened Epoxy adhesive product and wondered if anyone here has used this product. No mixing and a 45 minute working time sounds pretty good to me! I know that it is expensive but I have never mixed epoxy and I want the the convenience. Can it be used to glue my frames before I fasten them together with screws? Anyone? :confused:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Six10 is simply a premix in a specialized container/delivery system. You pay a lot per ounce for this goo and though it mixes pretty well, I don't trust the tips all that much, having seen color variations in the "bead", once squirted out. The formulation isn't as strong or as stiff as their regular epoxies too, but it is convenient. Frames could be assembled from a number of glues, assuming good joints and adequate clamping is applied. A bottle of Gorilla glue could probably get all your frames done.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

In many paint and epox supply shops they have mixing cups that are graduated on the sides for many mix ratios.

You add epoxy to the cup than use the printed guide to add the hardner.

Mix it right in the cup and add thickiner as required.

Wipe the cup after you transfer the epoxy to what you will be working with, no problem.

Unlike polly, epoxy must have a resting time before using it so some time delay is fine.

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Six10 is fairly good stuff, but if you're just gluing frames together then you might as well mix the epoxy yourself. Save the Six10 for when you absolutely need it.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

With the common marine grades of epoxy there is no "induction time", though some epoxies require it, the marine varieties don't. There are several base formulations and the two most commonly used don't need any wait time, before application, though (again) some might, like many of the cycloaliphatic mixtures. Bisphenol A and F formulations are the most common, with some novolac and 2k waterborne, just starting to climb aboard.

6. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

Had several bad experiences with six10. Mostly they seem to jam up or seem empty when the plunger has only moved a tiny bit. It also takes a lot of pressure to squeeze the tubes. I have broke several piping guns. That said it's convenient at times but extremely expensive.

Recently I have taken to emptying a cheap bathroom silicon tube, cleaning it out and then re-using the tube with my own blend of epoxy. Fill it up, pop the end on and pipe it out. A 1/4 of the price too.

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I never trusted the pumps that presumably dispense the two components with precision. I almost always use a beam balance scale for quantities whose mixed weight will be less than one kilogram. With this method you can mix even tiny amounts with confidence that the ratios are correct.

This needs a little bit of planning because resin and hardeners may have different specific gravities. a little bit of non threatening arithmetic is involved. Make a chart to suit various quantities and stick it to the workshop wall. Time well spent.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.