West System fast set (205) Epoxy set-up failure

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SpiritWolf15x, Nov 26, 2012.

1. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

Hi all, I was doing some repairs on my powerboat back in October using Westsystem 105 Epoxy with 205 fast hardener and 403 filler. I followed the ratio chart and it seemed like it was mixing properly.

I had to leave the repair to set and could not check on it until last weekend (Nov 24). The mix had not set at all properly leaving me with a semi set goopey, snot like mess. It had been raining a lot between then and when I checked it but the repair wasn't exposed in any way and despite the temperature dropping to about 1 or 2 degrees a few times I was sure it'd set up properly while it was still about 7 or 8 degrees at night during the last dry week of October.

My question is, how do I go about fixing this? Has this happened to anyone before?

Pictures coming eventually...

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

3. SpiritWolf15x

I'd say the warmest the repair has been was back in october when it was still 15-16 degrees Celsius during the day and about 5 at night. It was like that and dry for about a week after the repair.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Was that an outside air temperature of 15-16 C during the day and about 5 C at night? Is the repair exposed to the atmosphere? Is it shaded? Boat in the water or on land?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How did you measure and mix the epoxy?

7. SpiritWolf15x

Following the directions on the tin and the measure lines on the cup, standard 2:1 mix with about MAYBE a 1/4 of a cup of filler? If that.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

9. SpiritWolf15x

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

MAS epoxy is 2:1 ratio. Different epoxies have different ratios. Some West System is 5:1, some 3:1.

11. SpiritWolf15x

OH well, more work for me to do.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, 205 is a 5:1 and it'll never cure with a 2:1 ratio. Scrap clean, then remove all remnants of uncured goo and start over with a clean slate. If any of the first attempt is still on the surface, you'll have a lousy bond.

13. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

my friend PAR is pretty much right on, but you don't have to get 100% of the old stuff off. A little 'sticky' film is OK. The correctly mixed epoxy will be able to 'fix' the little bit of goo left behind. - Maybe I would say you need to remove 95% of the mess.... Generally you can be off ratio with epoxy by about 15-20% before you have problems, that is why the fresh epoxy can 'cure' a bit of off ratio stuff next to it. Note that I might be more concerned about 100% clean surface if it was a life or death type situation.

we have epoxies that can be used in temps down to freezing (but cannot ship to canada)

Everyone screws up from time to time - often the cause cannot ever be explained, even with hours and hours of debate and talk..... At least here we know it was a mix ratio issue (it is also common to get the ratio backwards, 1:2 instead of 2:1)

paul oman
    progressive epoxy polymers inc.

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Remember, when all else fails, read the instructions.

Sorry for your misfortune.

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, and the local West Systems retailer knows one carpenter who got it backwards 5 of hardener to 1 of epoxy. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.