Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
sushi50 sushi50 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Location: DC
waterproof wall panels for coastal house

I have a coastal house and am finishing out a ground-level room that may be subject to as much as 8 feet of water depth during a severe hurricane. I have used pressure treated 2x8 studs, treated 5/8 sheating, and red cedar shakes for the structure and exterior finish. For the interior finish I want it to be a high-quality, finished look like the rest of the rooms in the upstairs floors, but I do not want flood waters to result in damage and repair costs. I do not want to use any gypsum or tile backer product (drywall, denshield, durock, hardy backer, etc.) because the manufacturers say they will not handle the immersion without structural failure, paint peeling, etc. So I am just about ready to use Ipe' hardwood decking material as wall paneling. I plan to drill drain and vent holes in the paneling at the bottom and top of each stud cavity, along with vent holes in each stud to promote cross-talk ventilation and to try to stop mold and mildew growth. I do not plan to insulate the stud cavities since I am not aware of any material that would take the water and not promote mold and mildew.

Before proceeding with my Ipe' plans, I wanted to check with boat builders and boards like yours to make sure there's not a better, less expensive, and less time consuming way to do this. The Ipe will cost me about $3 per sqaure foot (1000 square foot wall and ceiling coverage) plus a ton of time drilling and screwing with stainless deck screws. Could I use some form of waterproof plywood or composite panels, whose joints could be finished with waterproof materials, smoothed down to hide the joints, then painted?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
gonzo's Avatar
gonzo gonzo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Rep: 2031 Posts: 11,897
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Before spending the money, have a look at the building codes. In the coastal areas subjected to flooding, the pilings under the house can only have two walls. The town may make you take it all down. I built in the Outer Banks for a long time.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:52 PM
captword captword is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Rep: 10 Posts: 79
Location: Morehead City North Carolina
do check the codes. WHy havent you thought of junniper or some other form of cedar bead board. It will look more like a house and salt water will not make it rot. Where is this house at?
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spar Buoy House Portager Boat Design 14 04-14-2011
01:32 PM 

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Web Site Design and Content Copyright ©1999 - 2017 Boat Design Net