Vacuum bagging with fabric

Discussion in 'Materials' started by brevell, Sep 15, 2004.

1. brevell

brevell New Member

I'm a dinghy sailor for hobby and do window treatments for income. I'm wondering if the same technique for building a hull would work on a drapery rod problem. I'd like to laminate fabric to a fluted wooden pole about 2"in diameter and thought the vacuum bagging process might draw the fabric down into the flutes or depressions in the pole. Can you point me to websites or tutorials regarding the vacuum bagging process and materials to use to make the fabric adhere to the wood? Thanks , Burt

2. AVMan

AVMan Junior Member

Vac Bagging a Pole

One word of advice, if you try to bag a traditional glass fabric around the outside diameter of a pole, when you pull a vacuum the fabric will have a tendency to lose section (become thinner) and instead of filling the flutes it may wrinkle (fabric becomes longer/wider when it thins out). I guess if you do some trial and error you can find out the exact length of fabric to use (less than the circumference) and actually have the wrinkles go into the flutes.... You might also want to try braided tubes (chinese finger traps) if the fabric doesn't work.

As for bagging research, try Gouegeon Bros, Airtech, Richmond Aircraft Supply...

Hope you can make some sense out of my ramblings...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.