using a barge as a start

Discussion in 'Materials' started by adamanderr, Feb 1, 2007.

1. adamanderr

adamanderr Junior Member

what is up with the giant metal barges i see abandoned looking have people converted them to live aboards. weight, regulations, price?
    any info would be appreciated. it looks as if it could be a great platform to start with.
    thanks

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I have seen people build nice homes on them,,one advantage is ,,no land tax

3. Izzy

Izzy Junior Member

Under construction

I have a project going that relates. Looked around on the internet for used barges and they seemed high priced and even more pricy to get one delivered down here in Guatemala. So had this one built here locally. If you like you can see pictures on our website, www.izabalqueen.com.

I used all the money I have so am looking for investors to get it completed and running.

Hope this helps,
    Izzy

Attached Files:

4. edaydesign

edaydesign Yacht Designer

u.s. barges

This is an interesting thread......

I myself am interested in doing the same type of houseing here in the states....

I am searching how you would obtain such a piece? any suggestions would help...

Form my research there tend to be a variety of types of barges... Which ones would you find best suitable to build on? Could Hopper Barges be used to fill in the hopper with soil and rock to create a green space?

Thanks

5. edaydesign

edaydesign Yacht Designer

I have to disagree with the "no land tax"

I have looked into this and found that one has to pay a personal tax... though may be slightly lower... one cant run away from uncle sam

perhaps you found something that I have over looked.... do share

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

what I saw was in louisianna,,,,,,I dont even think the coonass pay land taxes anyway ,,,,,,good times great people,,,,,,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.