Transom Wood?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RAF, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RAF

RAF New Member

New guy here...Let me say I am overwhelmed by the breadth of information here compared to other sites I've visited. PAR...WOW! My project is an old bass boat (maybe a little small for you guys) but hopefully you will help me.

Moving on, I first had to remove the top to get a look at the wood components, and I must say, they are shot. So here are my first couple (probably the first of MANY) questions. Should I:

1. Remove and redo floor and stringers first or remove and redo transom first?
    2 What kind of plywood would be appropriate for these jobs? Keep in mind it is difficult to find marine grade in Indiana and the shipping costs for marine grade make it prohibitive to purchase.
    3. What type of cloth should I use? ie. Biax 1708? Eglass? Sglass etc

This is my first project and have read many books and viewed a few dvds on boat restoration and quit frankly, I think I am confusing myself more everyday by doing so. Information overload?

The boat is a 16 foot astroglass "76. My first concern is safety for my family. Later, I'll get into cosmetics.

Thanks everyone.

Ron

2. RAF

RAF New Member

Wow!!! Did I pi$$ you guys off? Just a joke. I'm assumimg I do not belong here.

Thanks for reading.

Ron

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

NO, you belong here more than anyone,,,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.