Temporary Paint?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by portsmouthmarin, Nov 20, 2012.

1. portsmouthmarin

portsmouthmarin Previous Member

The boat is a large cruiser. About the largest a couple can handle. It will also be in the water while stored, so it will have bottom paint, etc.

This is brand new construction, not a boat with epoxy paint on it. There is no paint and we need to protect this boat's epoxy hull from uv damage while it is having hatches, hardware and the interior completed.

I like the ideas of easy removal of the protective covering. Now you can see why tarps and tents won't work for us. Shrink wrap wouldn't give us the access to the deck we need to fit hardware either.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Jeez, you cant work on a boat outside in the environment.

Get some steel scaffolding, pvp pipe and shrink wrap it.

Attached Files:

3. portsmouthmarin

Perfect! We never seem to have these cool products in the USA.

4. portsmouthmarin

You can in Florida.

[​IMG]

5. michael pierzga

Whatever you say.

My experience in Spain..a semi desert, dry enviroment is that without a cover the waste of man hours is so great that a tent becomes cheap.

Clients always learn the hard way.

6. portsmouthmarin

You seem to get into a lot of arguments on this site. I wonder why?

So you need to put up a tent to install deck hardware on a completed boat, huh? Is that what you do on the boat you currently work on? Ask the owner for funds for a tent to rebed hatches?

7. michael pierzga

"There is no paint and we need to protect this boat's epoxy hull from uv damage while it is having hatches, hardware and the interior completed.
    "

I can read. And I do many boats.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

WHY DONT YOU USE A RUBBER LATEX TYPE PRODUCT JUST PAINT ON WITH BRUSH OR ROLLER AND PEEL OFF LATER BIT LIKE A LIQUID CONDOM
    Here in china we use just such a product looks like pva glue and BRUSH it on all the non skid as soon as the deck comes out of the mould every where and when the boat is ready for it final clean it simply peels off and takes all the rubbish with it . !!! comes in 10 litrepails air dries and is ok for inside but ther must be products suitable for outside as well !!

9. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Can you give us the name of this magical product Tunnels?

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I will have a look next time i am at the other factory !! we moved last week !!
    Any latex paint manufactures will have a product of sure just have to ask and tell them what its for .
    In nz we use tha same kind of thing back in 1985/6 :p

11. michael pierzga

Herman supplied you with the llink for the protective plastic film and paint coatings supplier that is used in the shipyard. Google it.

12. portsmouthmarin

Perfect!

This is the same thing Herman suggested and yes, it is also available here in the USA.

The plan now is to do the full, real paint job, starting next week, then put the temporary paint/roll on peelable protective plastic over it, like they do with new cars.

Thank you for the advice. This is what we will do.

Here is an example of the product:

http://www.grocosc.com/TRANSSEALauto.html

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I saw some years ago that Awlgrip make a special protective paint for transport and your problem also. This coat is easily soluble when the work is done.
    But I like very much Frosty post, and I think he make a good point.
    Doing nothing can be the best.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.