Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Materials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Rep: 536 Posts: 1,230
Michael, i think you hit the nail on the head with the marketing thing. I think synthetics are being used for more than just layed decks, like cap rails etc though i have no experience with them,for me though whatever i use must A/ perform its task at least as good as teak B/ Be reasonably priced, by this i mean substantially less than Teak, not just a little, shipping included. C/ Be readily available in my state. I acknowlege that different woods or materials will be more suitable for builders in other areas.
Steve.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM
apex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Apex, exactly where have i shown a bias on this subject? I started this thread to ask if anyone had any experience of several interesting species of hardwood that have shown up in the lumberyard,(notice that even though i have been a boatbuilder for over 35yrs i am not too proud to ask questions of others if i am not knowlegable on a particular subject) I would suggest that it is you who has the solid bias, not being even willing to acknowlege that there may be other suitable woods out there. Believe it or not us builders dont necessarily all think teak is the best wood available.
Steve.
Well, I am sorry to have used the term bias. It was not appropriate in this case.
But when we count all the properties* of the suitable timber, we have to agree that Teak is hard to beat. *These include of course, the "value" a customer sees in the particular material.
I share your concerns about the abuse most teak decking sees by overly keen owners. The regular brushing with the grain is idiotic, but done by nearly all of them. If they would service the deck as a pro does (nearly not), they would have the same lifespan out of it as the "Queen Mary" decks have until today!

Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) is a valid alternative for the applications you have in mind. It weathers nice and does not need more attention than Teak. It lasts longer than oak and must not be waxed, oiled or varnished, though some treatment gives a longer lifespan of course.

Regards
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael pierzga View Post
For decks I see more and more synthetic products being used.
Stay away from that sh!t. I replaced a 6 month´s old synth. deck on a newbuilt just a few weeks ago, by Teak.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Rep: 1240 Posts: 1,617
There are several very nice synthetic alternatives to teak. It is just that the problem starts when it has to LOOK like teak...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
Yah, I agree Herman. I recently saw a Netherlands built small WALLY style motorboat with plastic cockpit decking. It looked great. The reason It looked so good was that it did not try to be TEAK. It was a different sandy colour with no imitation wood grain. I spoke with the yachts owner and he loves it. Cool on the feet, reasonable traction, easy cleaning and after two years it didn't look to badly effected by UV. Unfortunately I didn't ask the products name
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Was it this boat?

http://www.vandutchmarine.com
Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Thats the one ! very elegant.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 PM

I believe the decking is Estec.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Estec. I think Ill buy some !! I have a treadmaster covered, highly visible aftpeake deck exposed when the transom is open. Treadmaster is a monster to clean .

Hey, if you run into those VanDutch guys, compliment them on their design and while you are at it , ask them why they stuck a half dozen plastic, above waterline thruhull fittings thru her beautiful topsides ???? Makes it look like it was built by Bavaria.
They need some kind of single waterbox style streamlined exit on that beautiful hull.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Do you have a website address for ESTEC ?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM

My bad, it is ESTHEC

www.esthec.nl
www.bolidt.nl

Oh, I will bring over your compliments and remarks.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks !