teak to fiberglass cockpit sole installation

Discussion in 'Materials' started by grady, Oct 30, 2006.

1. grady

grady Novice

Hey Guy's anyone out there have a foolproof system for this type of appl.
    I've done some reading, and it seems like an all epoxy bonding install is the way to go. I'm thinking of starting with a templete made from heavy conctruction paper. then transfering the shape onto a sheet of 1/2" ply. From there I would lay-out my teak decking pattern onto the ply. Then after rough fitting ( dry) I would epoxy the teak to the ply. Now the teak my local supplier has is made with a chaulking relief. so spacing is not an issue. I would then gring down my non-skid to ensure a good bond. And epoxy the panels to the glass deck and weight them down with bags of sand. After the epoxy cures, I would tend to the seams. Maybe mask off and epoxy or maybe chaulking?

Questions;
    a, boards or veneers,
    b, epoxy or chaulk
    c, ply or no ply
    d, board config, layout / width of margin board
    e, recessed deck fittings
    g, graphite in the epoxy or not
    h, methods, steps etc...

Thanks for your input.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.