Table saw follows grain?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lewisboats, Nov 24, 2014.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Old roller skates make much better feather boards than actual feather boards. You can spring load them or just an elongated hole on the miter guide slot.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

The weather forced me to a plan TGF...

I could not let today's weather pass... near 60 and sunny... so I changed plans. I had picked up a gorgeous T&G Doug fir flooring board with perfectly vertical grain, no knots and almost ruler straight for the entire 12' length. This got me thinking... With the groove routed up the middle... I would only be cutting a thin strip of 1.125 to 1.25" wide and about .125" thick off to get a solid piece about 2.875" wide by nearly .5" thick. So immediately after work I went and picked up dog food....

This...
    [​IMG]

For This and the other one...
    [​IMG]

If you Squint really hard you can see some nice grain in there. This one was a bit rift sawn
    [​IMG]

But AFTER that I went to Menards and dumped $170 on 9 12' boards and 7 10' boards and another $30 on a few other nice pieces of wood. Home I rushed with my prizes sticking out of the back of the truck and started setting up shop. I came up with a quick jig to knock the tongue and groove off of the boards

[​IMG]

and proceeded to mill all the pieces

[​IMG]

3. lewisboats

Then I added to the jig a bit to run them vertically through the saw...

[​IMG]

Giving me this...

[​IMG]

And finally this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I even made my very first ever video for public consumption (let me rephrase that... ever... period!). Just remember I have been on the go since 4:20 PM yesterday.

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/Stuff/Mjolnir/CutVid.mp4

4. lewisboats

Then I got out the planer and buzzed them all down to .3125" with a couple thinned further to .25"

I also smoothed out the Keel strips that I had cut the other day and added one thin one from today to flush it out to 3" deep.

[​IMG]

Leaving me with several pounds of shavings and sawdust...

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.