Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 11
substitute for Tufnol as bearing material on rudder posts?

My plans call for Tufnol as bearing material on my rudder posts. I am having difficulty finding the product in North America (at a reasonable price). Can anybody recommend a substitute?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Rep: 1180 Posts: 4,865
Many boats use Vesconite. Ask your designer.

http://www.xpcbearings.com/home
Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 11
Thank you Michael, I am sure your suggestion will work well. My designer is not in the habit of answering his Email.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Boat Designer

Rep: 2281 Posts: 2,266
The bearing material depends on load, in Prince George I'm guessing a trailerable boat? For that almost any medium to high density plastic will do. UHMW plastic is popular and available in tube or rod blank that can easily be turned to fit by anyone with a small lathe.......See the remainder bin at your local Industrial Plastics dealer.......

UHMW does swell a fraction in water so be careful to oversize slightly........

There's also a self lubricating version of UHMW called Murlubric....which is nifty
Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Rep: 1180 Posts: 4,865
Always Best to get the input from yacht designers and Plastics professionals. Many plastics are suitable for low tech applications like a rudder bearing. Water swelling, heat distortion and friction wear are well known and can be allowed for when you machine the bearing or wish project its useful service life. . A good plastics supplier should be able to advise you on available materials for your application.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM

Rep: 12 Posts: 35
A more recent development in bearing materials is a phenolic based self lubricating bearing material known as Maritex Aquarius. This has advantages over UHMW plastics in that it is non melting/softening and can support high loads with less distortion, it also has surface chemistry to resist marine growth. It is being used in everything from the Panamax project to new submarine shafts and dive planes, but is also available for shafts from 1" to over 22". It can be used with water, oil or dry.

It machines without dust or fumes and is dimensionaly stable over a wide temperature range. Clearance calculators can be found if you search for maritex aquarius calculator
Old 07-02-2016, 04:08 PM

Rep: 1882 Posts: 4,361
This is a very interesting subject,....that didn't get a lot of exposure.

I utilized some UHMW plastics to fabricate the rudder stock and other parts on my Firefly trimaran project...in lieu of expensive and involved SS fabrications with additional bearings needed.

Thought I might add this posting to remind myself in the future.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:27 PM

Rep: 565 Posts: 2,185
Contorta,

I looked up the web site for Tufnol and found there were 5 different types of laminates.
Do you know which kind is specified for your boat?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 AM

Rep: 2031 Posts: 11,768
What material are the rudder posts made of?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 AM

Rep: 603 Posts: 1,654
Ertylite (sp) is another engineered plastic that could work, it does not absorb water as much as some, I have not used it for plain bearings but have used it for roller bearings for a rudder in a drum application which has worked well for many years now. Like Brian, adding as a reminder to watch the thread.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 AM

Rep: 575 Posts: 2,148
It there any bearing material that can be poured in like an epoxy. Indeed how about an epoxy with graphite, (not for me Aluminum boat). I am tired of buying them, I want to make my own. Any recipes?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:18 AM

Rep: 2031 Posts: 11,768
Graphite and aluminum is a bad combination because of their different potential. There will be a lot of electrolysis. In general, rudder bushings last for many years. Are you operating where sand gets into them?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Rep: 871 Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Ertylite (sp) is another engineered plastic that could work, it does not absorb water as much as some, I have not used it for plain bearings but have used it for roller bearings for a rudder in a drum application which has worked well for many years now. Like Brian, adding as a reminder to watch the thread.
I use some Ertalon LFX on gangway/brow components for slip handrail bearings, they have constant movement 24/7 and hold up well. Haven't used for rudder bearings though but also in thrust bearings to large windlass. Should go ok with appropriate clearance http://www.dotmar.com.au/ertalon-lfx...odssheets.html

Jeff

Old 07-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Rep: 1882 Posts: 4,361
Maritex Aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigawave View Post
A more recent development in bearing materials is a phenolic based self lubricating bearing material known as Maritex Aquarius. This has advantages over UHMW plastics in that it is non melting/softening and can support high loads with less distortion, it also has surface chemistry to resist marine growth. It is being used in everything from the Panamax project to new submarine shafts and dive planes, but is also available for shafts from 1" to over 22". It can be used with water, oil or dry.

It machines without dust or fumes and is dimensionaly stable over a wide temperature range. Clearance calculators can be found if you search for maritex aquarius calculator
I was looking that one up and came up with a few sites, since none were quoted:
http://www.h4marine.com/Maritex01.htm

http://www.engineeringexchange.com/f...ess-in-plastic

http://www.exalto.co.uk/en/marine-be...itex-bearings/