spraying gelcoat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gethookedjr, Mar 2, 2007.

1. gethookedjr

gethookedjr New Member

I would like to spray my current gelcoat with a clear gelcoat to protect finish. The hull is thirty feet would prefer to do in sections. Can this be done or should the entire side be done at once. Plan on using clear with duratek. Should i use 2 coats and do they have to be applied immediately or can they be done on seperate days if nescessary. I have never used gelcoat before and worry about the gel solidfying before completing side. I will be using a cup gun with a 2.0 mm orifice. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Don't do it, clears tend to yellow, you don't notice that much on metal flake bass boat because your eye is distracted by the flake and many colors. Plus adding Duratech can reduce the UV resistance of gel coat, it's not a bad product, just a trade off. It would be very difficult for you to get it to turn out well and even if it did, it woudn't last very long.

3. RingLeader

RingLeader Junior Member

You might consider clear coating with a paint like Awlgrip or Imron.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Just buff it and polish it to preserve the finish like everyone else. I cannot see you getting a good bond with gelcoat over gelcoat, especially without sanding.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.