Soft fuel tank..?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sigurd, Aug 16, 2006.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

The hatches in my cat are so small I can't get a fuel (unleaded gasoline with outboard oil) tank inside.
    I found a 20l black "polyvinyl" bag cheap. It is used for sun-heating water for shower.
    My question is whether there are any issues with using the material for fuel? Will it dissolve or anything? What is the worst that can happen? I will use a "pre-filter".

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The shower-water bag will most likely not hold up to fuel and oil. It would be almost certain to leak, deteriorate, and eventually cause a massive fuel spill and probably a fire.
    If you need a bladder-type fuel cell, get one that's designed for gasoline, designed for use in an enclosed space on board a boat, and certified by the appropriate authorities. Go cheap here, and you could blow up the marina.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I echo what both Jehardiman and marshmat said. A fire on your boat can spoil your whole day. It's not worth doing this on the cheap. I have investigated far too many fires on boats that were simply a matter of people not doing it right.

5. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

I think that is going to spoil more than just his day if he is anywhere near it at the time..... :)

6. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Thanks a lot. I will use the hard tank on deck until I can afford a proper soft tank.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.