SOF Materials

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Wavewacker, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Asking the experts, meaning all of you. I have a heavy PVC material, about 18' X 32' that was a swimming pool cover. Used one season and it was replaced by an automatic cover as it was too heavy for dad to mess with it.

You could walk on this on the water when fitted. It appears to have a rip-stop material pattern and coated. Pretty sire I could beach this stuff on many shores and banks without tearing it up, especially with a keel saver, if it would take the adhesive.

Don't want to make it sound as if this is too heavy, it probably weighs 110-120 pounds with attachments, so a third of it about 6/8 X 30 would maybe be about 35/40 pounds.

What about using it for a SOF project for a canoe, a large canoe or what about another style ??? :confused:

There is a place here that can weld this stuff as well. Thinking a frame that can be broken down in sections, doesn't have to go in a bag, that could slide into the cover and be assembled. Paddle and sail, maybe a small OB.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It would be a good material for a skin on frame canoe. There are lots of websites with instructions and plans for them. I have built three or four and was quite happy with them.

3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thank you Gonzo! I'll search that as I'd need plans. Have you heard of other types being SOF, a small catamaran or skiff? I have to start building something for the winter or I'll go nuts. I can see that a hull couldn't have much of a flat surface, unless there was more of a wood/ply hull and then covered. I'd like a large canoe, freighter style @ 20-22' would be awesome, so would an 18' or so cat.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

6. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Really like this approach!

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/skin-frame-dory-why-not-37260.html

Alloy tubing for the frame! For me metal would be easier to work with than wood. Rivets seem much faster than epoxied joints.

My initial thought was a freighter canoe, a camper for 2, square stern small OB.

I also like the dory shown with the additional beam, but 16' is too small for what I was hoping for, thinking 20-24'.

How big is too big for SOF?

Might say glue on frame. I don't see any stitching this PVC material. Cover, taper, cut the creases out, overlap and glue.

I'm not sure I'd want it to break down to removing the cover or taking all the framing out, however it would be nice to get 8' sections. Might consider having the bow and stern frame sections sliding out and just fold the two ends inward. Seems like having a larger boat would make assembly more difficult, not sure human humph power could pull it tight.

Has anyone used wood panels, plywood on a frame like 1/4" or 3/8" bottom, like a RIB that would be covered with the outer shell eliminating the wood work of the joints of a wood boat? A solid deck would be nice to step on. I need a foredeck to stand on.

Since I have enough material to cover a tank, A matching camper top is in the mix too, I can cut windows in. Roll up sides, open for nice days with shade. Tent bows or PVC pipe arches as I've seen on freighter canoes.

Stomping grounds are major rivers, eastern ICW, gulf area, not too far off shore. Unstayed sail would be great with leeboards. I'm not an expert sailor, sailing expectations are rather low (I'm sure they will change as more experience kicks in) but decent abilities to move along in silence without fuel.

Hoping for 2,000 lbs displacement, 2 regulars, 2 guests at times, supplies, motor, fuel, water, it adds up.

I'm seeing freighters at 20' holding 2000 # +, is it still doable with SOF

Lastly, really open to a tri arrangement as well. That's to say floats for stability more than a speed machine. The amas would provide an additional play area perhaps a better arrangement for a supported mast that would be a simple system, self lowering. Another thought is that I have an inflatable kayak, just a blow up, but don't know why 2 with a frame wouldn't make decent floats for a large canoe or other boat. Detach and kayak around leaving the camper beached or anchored.

I also see myself getting off course in my own thread about materials to designs, should it be moved?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.