Small air chopper gun

Discussion in 'Materials' started by awake4air, Apr 15, 2004.

1. awake4air

awake4air Junior Member

I'm considering buying a small handheld chopper gun that hooks up to an air compressor. I have only been doing fiberglass work for about a year and this is my first chopper gun I am thinking of purchasing. Can anyone give me their opinion on this gun and if it is worth the $250? I am also open to the idea of getting a bigger and better chopper gun, but I can't afford one of those really expensive ones.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/Images/equip/c93a1.jpg

Thanks for you help,
    Paul

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In California they have the most stringent air pollution controls. It is illegal to use a chop gun like that. That is probably why the price is so low. Check with the EPA for approved models.

3. awake4air

awake4air Junior Member

They sell that chopper gun all over the place. It's simply for cutting the fiberglass, not spraying it with resin as it comes out. Are you sure it is illegal in CA? What would you suggest as a low cost, good quality, gun that can be used in CA? I don't need anything massive as I am only doing small to medium size parts. Thanks for your help.

Paul

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it only chops fiberglass is probably OK. What advantage does it give over using mat if you have to put the resin on it?

5. awake4air

awake4air Junior Member

I'm not sure that even has an advantage. I think it would be helpful for quick buildup but other than that I am not sure. Do you know of any reasonably priced wet-out chopper guns?

6. Theo

Theo Junior Member

chopper guns

You can use a none air atomized chopping system I'm sure in Cal. You can find used systems for around 1500 to 2500 bucks. Try looking in the compositesone website and go to the venus magnum link and ask if they have any trade ends. I work for C1 in Michigan.

7. Kanesis

Kanesis Guest

looking for a new or used chop gun

hello,
    Im starting to fab up Body kits for cars and coye ponds. I have a friend willing to buy a chop gun. Ive been hand laying for about 4 years. I was searching for wet out chop guns and alls i can find is sites that produce fiberglass parts and or materials. If anyone could recommend the best and the worst brand of chop guns and there links i would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Kanesis@yahoo.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.