Should I dry out my transoms plywood core before closing?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sbklf, Jan 3, 2007.

1. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

I cut the top of my transom off to lower it about a month or two ago. It is in an unconditioned garage in Houston, TX. Will the plywood absorb moisture to the point that I should dry it out before closing it back up? Kevin

2. alpamis34

alpamis34 Senior Member

If the core is exposed to open air it might make some absorption,but it depends how much bad the condition is ofcourse?generally as i know when the humidity exceeds 12% the problem starts.

3. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

Humidity is way over 12% here, how should I dry it out? Kevin

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Since your transom top is all that has been removed and it has been under shelter, the moisture content will be quite stable. Put the transom top back on with no worries. This assumes you don't have other issues with your transom, like engine mount holes that let in water or other fastener holes that do the same and that the transom is solid.

5. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

There is a handy chart in the back of the Geougon Bros. Book on boat building that shows moister content for different wood at certain humidity levels. It also has the average humidity levels for areas of the US.

You should not have a problem keeping it at or under 12% if its covered – especially this time of year

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.