Sealing your faired hull....

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Roly, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I am currently buying materials to get my hull to the turn-over stage.
    (Edge glued,strip-planked, 640gm/m2 epoxy/glassed over)
    We have blasted the gloss off it and are preparing to fair.

Once faired is there an advantage using something like "interprotect" to seal the final faired hull? Or, is ordinary epoxy suitable. How many coats is standard?
    Cheers.

2. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

speak with International/epiglass or Awlgrip if you're using ready mixed fillers but from what I remember they always recommended a thin coat of primer on the mat/epoxy before filling with their products.

I think it was in main as they knew their filler stuck to the primer whereas the resin layer may be greasy (amine sweaty) in pinholes/low areas if sanded..or indeed glass.

You only need 1 thin coat (50microns dft or so).

That said, I know builders/painters who just made 1st filler layer a relatively wet mix (they used mix your own filler) and filled direct onto peel plyed epoxy (the peel ply stripped off, of course!)

Benefits of painting once glassed is that it shows up any dry areas as pinholes -open weave in extreme cases, and it seals it if you are taking break before filling

3. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Cheers.
    I guess the first coat, wet, would suit our purpose. (Application of fairing compound) Skips a step.

Rather, my question related to the faired compound, pre painting to seal the
    filler rich epoxy. (topside paint and below waterline paint).

Interprotect is more expensive than ordinary epoxy but is it any better for this purpose?

4. catmando2

catmando2 Malaysia bound....soon

TRy Ameron coatings, an industrial coating well respected in the Australian and New Zealand boating industrie and much more economical than Awl-grip or Sterling.

Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.