Scantling question for beginner

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Brands01, Nov 23, 2006.

1. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

And nothing neither for "small" powerboats ie smaller than 80 ft.

Or did I looked bad ?

Thanks.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

There are Standards Australia rules that cover smaller boats in Oz. I can't recall the AS numbers off the top of my head, but just do a search and you'll find them...

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day Brands01,
    Mate I think the standards for Australia which may be of help to you are AS4132 parts 1&3. Although dont quote me on that
    Gary

4. Brands01

Brands01 Senior Member

Thanks Gary, you're right on the money there. For non commercial vessels are there any legal requirements to use the standards?

5. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day Brands01,
    Mate I'am a total amatuer when it comes to boat building the only knowledge I have on the subject is what I have learnt by word and mouth, that being said. I don't know if there are any legal requirments to build to those specific standards AS4132 parts 1&3. But the questions is why wouldn't you not want to build to them. The way I see it these standards have been hopefully worked out by a lot of highly educated people with a shitload of years experience and scientific know how to draw on. So that if someone is using a boat built to these standards as a minium requiremment, and that boat is being used in a commercial sense say pro fishing where the boats often have to take a lot of constant hard work and abuse in all sorts of conditions. Then hopefully it will give the owner of that boat peace of mind that the boat can stand up to it structually.
    When I got my boat designed I asked the guy who did it to come up with the strongest designed boat that he could, using the method that I was going to build with "Stich n Glue". Which apparently he has done and I realise it will cost me more in materials, because of what I asked of him. But I reckon if I do my part on the building side of things that I will feel totally confident in my boat structually. How it handles well I'll just have to see come the time but I'm confident it'll be good.
    Mate go the AS standards I reckon it will pay off in the long run in a lot of ways.
    Stay Safe
    Gary

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

The scantlings in Gerr's Elements of Boat Strength will almost certainly exceed those by AS 4132. And for that matter, most of the others - loke ABS, ISO, USL, Lloyds, etc.
    Elements is, by the authors own comment, a conservative set of formulae. It will meet or exceed those mentioned.
    As I've previously said, if you were after a lightweight structure, I'd go with ABS or similar. As you aren't Dave's rule's will work fine for you.

But going through the process of calculation by one of the others will give you a better understanding of the stresses involved. Why not calculate your scantlings by both and compare them? The work involved in doing that is WAY less than you will expend on actually building it....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.