Rudder Bearing

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Wynand N, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Next to my workplace, in small town called Virginia here in South Africa, is a big factory called Vesco. They manifacture a bearing material called Vesconite. As we do a lot of work for them, I pop in there often.

You should see the massive rudder bearings made from Vesconite for big ships destined all over the world.
    This brings me the question, have anyone any experience with Vesconite, are there better materials for rudder bearings?

Interesting, all the Vesconite worldwide departs from this factory. Quite amazing to see the manufacturing process.

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

The name sounds familiar, but to be frank, I haven't been able to make the connection. Do they have a site to look at?

Wanneer vertrek je?

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thanks Wynand N for that interesting info.Have been looking for other water lube bearing material.If it is as good as my present material or better it sure is great stuff.
    The material just hardly polishes a stainless steel shaft.

5. nassaw

nassaw Junior Member

Seems as though Vesconite is becoming a standard bearing quoted to be used by several designers on home built projects. I know Chris of Chris White Catamarans is requiring them with his designs. I opted for a different material that is also used mostly in my area because its produced here locally in my home town. (UHWMPE) I did several test before deciding to use. 1st I submerged a piece in a saltwater tank for 2 years. With a humidistat I found no change. I also found no biological growth on the sample. I also did shop bench test and turned a shaft in the bearing 1 million revolutions and reversed the motor for 1 million revs. I then forced the bearing hard over in the jig and 1 more million rev. and tried to eggshape but the sample stayed true and unchanged. Sent the pieces over to a machine shop and rebored to my actuall SS rudder stocks. Not sure what the cost of this material cause I traded a case of beer for a box full :D I can check if anybody is interested.
    Wynand, What is the price for bearing. say for a 2"(51mm) shaft. Here is the site for the UHWMPE.http://www.garlandmfg.com/plastics/products.html

Attached Files:

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Some of these materials seem to aquire different trade names in different countries.I have a list somewhere?..NOVASTEEN is one name given to a similar product.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.